Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all painters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Jun 12, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I am in the research process of repainting my burban. What kind of primer and paint do you recommend? Keep in mind I'm a rookie painter. I will practice on my trailer( so it matches). I want it to look as professional as possible. The wife and I are thinking a solid midnight blue. All the chrome will be canned. I will probably detail underneath with the same blue and black. What chrome there is will be minimal( bumpers and door handles).

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

make sure you use an epoxy primer and urethane paint. if going metallic, use basecoat/clearcoat. solid colors, a single stage paint is fine..

lot of good paints out there, check with your local autobody supply place to see what brands they carry..

PPG makes nice stuff.. i'm partial to Glasurit myself, but its a tad pricey, best paint you can buy tho....

PM me if ya need some pointers... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Just one pointer.

If you want this to turn out right, spend more time on the preparation of the metal /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif then anything else.

I've seen so many times were people think paint will hide defects in the metal work. If anything, it ALWAYS magnifies them by a factor of 10! If you can see it with your eyes or feel it with your hands then it will look ten times worse once you put paint on it.

If you are looking for smooth panels block-sand it until you can't do it anymore, then block-sand it some more. When working any area that has a seem in it work both sides of the seem equally. Sand all the way across the seem. Never work just the edge of a door or hood. You end up building one side up to high and it never looks right afterwards. I guess we could go on and on with all the talk about prep, but that wasn’t your question and I don’t think you’re a looking for a show quality paint job.

To me, 90% of the work in a good quality paint-job is all done before the spray gun is even loaded with paint.

So to your question. I’ve used both PPG and DuPont; They are good paints. I would agree with others that solids should use single stage enamels.

4. ryoken

i think you replied to the wrong guy /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. scoutillac

I've been searching all over for paint color charts or something. I think I mentioned it above I want a solid midnight blue or metallic blue. I'll have a paint booth to use. But my painting skills aren't the greatest, yet. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. ryoken

i had peeked around the net at one point looking for color charts and didn't have much luck... i have chip sheets for just about everything production from 73 to about 88, plus fleet rainbow charts with a full spectrum of colors.

a fleet chart will more than likely have the midnight blue your looking for. try stopping in an autobody supply place. they will more than likely give you a fleet chart or show you some at least. Duponts Imron is a good one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Most Napa stores mix paint and have chip sheets of colors.
    I belive it is Martin senor(sp) paint, rebadged Shirwin Willims paint. It's ok.
    Or check with the body shops and check out their stuff. They will have all the color sheets and will mix you up whatever you want.

I like the Dupont 2K urethane myself.
    Works good in a piss pot or HVLP pressure pot rig.
    For your first shoot I would go with a solid color.
    Laying down metalics takes a bit of practice and ya don't want to be spraying 2 gallons of paint trying to get it to look right.
    Dark colors aren't as bad as the lighter ones but if it isn't laid out right it will be striped or splotchy or both.
    Unless you are going for the zebra effect.
    A gun of higher quality also helps in spraying metalics.
    I use DeVilbiss guns. One for general priming,sealing and solids, the other for metalics.

8. scoutillac

A friend of mine just got a Dev Vilbiss gravity feed given to him I can use. So what is so tough about metallics? Is it really just alot to do with the gun. I have a cheap cyphon(sp) feed from Harbor Freight I will probably use for the primer. That should be ok huh?