Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all people with 6" lift!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Calling all people with 6\" lift!!

Ok im having a problem, i have a 78 with sm465,205 and 6" lift with ORD shackles up front. Well my front driveshaft will not reach it bottoms out because it is at such a high angle. Ive been told and have read that you can grind off the little tabs on the stock cv joint but that does not last long. I have been thinking about getting a 1 ton cv driveshaft that will flex out at 32 degrees. but thats $$ There are tons of trucks and blazers out there that have 6" lifts what are you guys doing for your front driveshafts?? thanks a bunch

[​IMG]

2. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

Re: Calling all people with 6\" lift!!

I have a 6 inch lift on mine it is an 89 at first i had the same prob but realized the spline in the center of the shaft were rusted so try some greece and a hammer that mite free it up but it will be extreemly over extended so i got a spacer that supper lift sells it goes between the shaft and the t caseabout 1.5 inches longer hope this helps you if not you can get a custom shaft for about 200-300 beens

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Grind some, grind some more and grind some more. thats what I did and put a shim in the front and everything is all right.

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Uhhh, why don't you just go to your local driveline shop and have them build you a longer driveshaft?? I HAD an '87 Jimmy with a 6" lift and that's what I was going to do, but it got stolen before I could do that. I called Powerdrive, Inc.(local shop here in Wichita, KS) and they were going to charge me $200 to build me one from scratch.......including CV joint and U-joints. You might want to find out. Good luck.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I grinded mine. Granted i only did this for a temporary fix until i could afford a new one. But it seems to be working fine. It has been this way for about 6 months now.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Blzr4x4ngkid: the problem im having is that its at such a angle it does not spin.

[​IMG]

7. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

8. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

You should make sure you have a spicer cv instead of the saginaw type. The spicer cv spins at a higher angle. A friend of mine made a high angle cv much like the one you mentioned using (3) 205 drive shaft flanges welding two back to back,(you could just bolt these together),using 1330 joints. It's not as strong as the 1350's but it'll spin at that 30-32 degrees

9. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

mine is all one piece not welded - cast iron to cast iron-

10. Big56Truck

Big56Truck Registered Member

not too sure how to solve your problem there-just want to tell ya you got the coolest signature on the sight!! LOL (how does she do that anyway??)