Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all sm465 men and women

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuneRunner, Apr 17, 2003.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Hello there boys and girls of CK5.

I have a question that has been going through my head for some time now and recently. (durning a meeting at work today I was still thinking about it)

Should I go with the sm465 trany and toss the 700r or should I spend the time and money and take the chance of it burning up on me, and have it rebuilt. It is not my daily driver but the weekend worrior. (will be seeing a 3/4 formation in the next few months) But I want to get the trany sitch taken care of first.... You know I would rather have a running K5 then one that looks cool but doesn't run on the side of my house.

Please help me decide if I should or shouldn't...Thanks Your fellow CK5er... KEN /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

YES! By all means take out the auto and replace it w/ a SM465! I did the TH350 to SM465 swap and have never regretted it yet!

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I would do the swap the 700r is a piece of sh*t. I just swaped my 700r out for a th400 I think that is the way to go It is pretty much strait swap.
    I had a 700r/208 and went to the th400/208 it bolted right up and my drivelines worked too
    just make sure if you keep an auto tranny to put a huge tranny cooler on it
    Anthony

4. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I swaped an 465 in about 6 months ago and love it. The only problem is when I have to switch gears quickly its a little hard.
    If the auto workes good now I say keep it. Just put a BIG cooler on it and don't use overdrive. Then get all of the parts for the 465 swap and when you are ready or when the auto blows swap everything out.

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Just about everything I own that I'm keeping has a 465 in it. And if it didn't when I originally got it, it does now.

6. DuneRunner

Thanks guys for the quick response I appreciate all the info. I had a good friend who had the 465/205, but he sold it 2 weeks ago for $400.00 I'm pissed that I didn't get it from him sooner. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm starting to look around now... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep the info comming...KEN

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have the 465 and wouldn't trade it for anything. In fact, my future plans call for stacking two of them instead of going the traditional doubler route. 430:1 crawl ratio, baby! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>

8. DuneRunner

Ya I've head of that...But will your breaks hold with that low of gearing?
    LOL... Evan do you know anyone local that has one for sale or should I go to the J yard and find it there? I'm guessing the later...

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They're pretty common in the junkyard from what I've seen, but if you're not in a huge hurry they pop up pretty regularly. Most of the ones in the yards will be the manual linkage though.

At 430:1 why would you need brakes? The truck would travel 25 feet per minute (.284 miles per hour) at 1000 RPMs (vs. 163 feet per minute in the regular 1st gear 4 lo), so you would have plenty of time to hit the clutch pedal first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif She'd haul along at .825 miles per hour at 3000 RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not much call for panic stops at that kind of speed. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif</font>

10. DuneRunner

good point there Evan. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It would be so sick to see 2 tranys stuck together... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've got my eyes out for a pair of 465s to start playing with. I probably won't do much with it until next year, and by then someone will probably have a kit to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It seems like a pretty easy deal, just an adaptor, custom input shaft for the second tranny and a coupling sleeve.</font>

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

why dont you use a 420 for the doubler? its quite a bit shorter than a 465, and has a lower first gear too.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ditch the sluch box.
    you can run higher gears on larger tires and get the same RPM down the highway. but take off with the first or low if needed.
    grant

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's a possibility, it's just that the 465s are alot easier to find. </font>

15. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Well i have an NP 435 (ford tranny), but it has the same ratios as the sm 465. Honsetly i would not trade this thing for anything.

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dunemullet-
    I'll start keeping my eyes open at the junkyards for a 465/205 setup.
    I remember you telling me you've never driven one of those before. My advise to you is go drive a truck with a 465 before you make any decisions.... Come here and take my dad's '77 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif around the block.
    I want to be able to shift fast for racing with a manual, and ya just can't do that with a 465. If I was only hitting the rocks and trails the 465 would be great.
    Plus, yer getting rid of your overdrive, now you'll have a 1:1 top gear. You said your going 3/4 ton... lower gears also?
    I'd definatly go for a NV4500/205 though!!!$$$!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. DuneRunner

spooln-

Thanks for the link. It sold. I think the selection in the Bay Area will have what I need. I would rather not pay to have it shipped if I don't have too...

Ryan- You've got a point. I'm not looking to make this a Green to Red racer. And I am going to do the 3/4 ton swap in time. I drove my works old '70 F-100 (i think it was a 100 maybe 150) any way with a 4 speed and I got pretty damn good with it. I must admit I haven't had the chance to shift the 465 yet but can amagin it... ANd I WANT IT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks for all your HELP EVERYONE!!!

NOW MY Next Q? Linkage or Hydro? wich one?

19. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

HYDRO...

a hell of a lot easier to swap in (no crap to bolt to the frame and linkages to run) and it feels oh so good Stay away from the Centerforce clutches though...My Centerforce DF pressure plate just crapped out (those damn weights are falling off and jamming stuff up)..So I am parking my truck for a week or two to swap in a rebuilt TBI 454, new 465/205 combo (mine current combo is a little warn out) and new floors... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

20. DuneRunner

Dang Chris sounds like you have some work "cut out" for you...j/k Does Colorado use salt on the roads? Here in California they don't. I guess we are kinda spoild But when you live in the "suburbs of the Silicon armpit of the Bay Area" you don't have to worry about that. Sorry for the corny jokes...

I'm going to look into the Hydo more... WHat I want to do is find a complete truck and take everything I need. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Do you know what years started hydro? I"m guessing late 80 early 90s?

KEN /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif