Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

calling all stereo gurus.... which head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by muddysub, Jun 15, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got some decent money for graduation and i'm gonna buy a stereo among other things. help me out here, i need suggestions for a good stereo for my suburban just the head unit (i think that's what you call it) for now. i need a good quality one, pioneer, sony ect... i need your guys help what would yall suggest?

2. muddysub

oh, if it makes a difference i listen to just about everything from eminem to mudvayne to garth brooks.

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I got a Pioneer DEH-4100 a couple years ago and I love it, has nice power, features and a remote for the lazy. If your going to run speakers off the head unit I think the Pioneers are great, mine runs 2 6x9 and the 3.5" dash speakers, and I like my music LOUD and I wimp out before they distort. I think the best way is to figure out how much you can spend and find the one with the features you need and go from there.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have the JVC KD-LX50. Love the voice command, 3 sets of preamp outs, built in crossover, Aux input (can be used for satalite radio receiver) ...remote....ect. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

get a pioneer DEH-p7400mp from Here, its where i got mine, and it works absolutely awesome, made my stereo sounds loads better and it plays MP3's too, i believe it is around 260 or 270 from there at the most

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

7. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

well just make sure u get something satelite ready cuz it's awesome....oh and the new alpines are 60x4 also....

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif check out my system. I got the pioneer 740, and it's an awesome head unit. The only drawback is it's gap between songs, but while driving i really don't notice it.
    i highly recomend it. some of the lower end brands are pyle, pyrmid (sp?), boss, and people are saying sony has gone down hill also.

9. muddysub

i'm looking at a crutchfield mag and i think i want a pioneer deh-p4400... it has sound focus EQ, cd changer controls, XM satellite radio, disc naming, 2 sets of preamp outputs, and a sub-out 50/80/125 Hz low pass filter. is this a good Head Unit? i know what most of this stuff means but some is unfamiliar to me like the sound focus EQ and disc naming. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

that's probably a nice one for you. the sound focus EQ is something neat where you press a button and is will amplify the bass and treble in the front speakers but just the bass in the rear, and press it again and it will just increase the bass all around ,and again and both bass and treable all around and again and bass in the front and treble in the rear. and the disc naming is where you can title the discs you put in and the tracks, so if you burn a CD you can have it display the track names. and with the 2 preouts you could add 2 amps if you wanted to. XM costs a lot to install, for the antenna and such, so i stay away from that, but if i was rich... i'd get it., but before you do buy one, tell everyone here, and well look for the best price online for you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. muddysub

well then who can get me a good price on a pioneer DEH-P4400? crutchfield wants $199 for it.

what about alpine are they good? or kenwood? i like pioneer a lot that's what i have in my bedroom. i have a pioneer 200 watt dolby reciever, pioneer 25 disc changer and love them. so i like pioneer and i've heard they are the best in car audio.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Who's the best all comes down to what you like. I agree pioneer makes some quilaty headunits, but lately I've really liked JVC. Alpine and Kenwood are also good name brands. Just get what you like. Find one with the fetures you want. As far as price go's, I just do a search on Car Sterio on line and compare price. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

15. muddysub

wow awesome you da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks like i know what i'm getting. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I'd look into the Sirius radio equiped decks. I sell both the Sirius and XM and I wouldn't run an XM unit to save my life. Sirius is much better. Try looking into some Kenwood headunits. OR check out the new Panasonic Ghost it is really nice.

18. Racefreak

Racefreak Registered Member

What is the difference between XM & Sirius? Isn't XM $3 cheaper per month?

19. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

2 different satelite radio providers. XM goes w/ Sony, Pioneer, and Clarion. Sirius is Panasonic, kenwood, and Jensen.

Sirius owns thier satelites.
    XM rents thiers.

Sirius has NO commercials. Better coverage.
    XM /forums/images/icons/mad.gif loss of coverage under structures. And commercials.

Sirius 3.00 more a month /forums/images/icons/mad.gif But well worth the money /forums/images/icons/cool.gif