Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all tranny guru's!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Oct 19, 2003.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Calling all tranny guru\'s!

Ok so i just bought a plow truck and got it home last night and backed it in the drave and it wont go into park. I wont say that it's not in park but when i shift into park it still rolls down the drive. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So other than being out of adjustment on the shifter, i guess the only other possibility is the parking sprag right? If it is the parking sprag, is that something that the average joe-schmoe can do or would i be better off taking it to the tranny man? I have never been inside a tranny but if its not too hard i may try it myself.

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Calling all tranny guru\'s!

Check the linkage adjustment, If thats not it I would pull it and have it re-built. Plow truck trannies get a lot of abuse.

3. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Well i agree on the abuse issue but the tranny works great other than it wont stay still in park. Thats why i thought i could just replace the sprag if i dont have to tear it apart to replace it.

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

If it is the parking prawl, you will have to tear the tranny down to fix. If adjusting the linkage doesn't fix it, you could drop the pan, and check the detents and the rod that actually engages the parking prawl. If nothing is wrong there, you'll have to pull it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

My plow truck has four shift points between Park and OD, to say the least the shift indicator don't work either. I think I need new linkages to replaces the worn and rusted ones. Tranny runs great. Seems like JeremyK5 had the same Park probelms I think it was a clutch or something in the valve body. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With the truck off and wheels chalked, Disconnet the shifter linkage at the transmission. See if you can get it into park with the linkage off using a pair of channel lock pliers.
    If not, pull the pan and see why the rod isn't engaging the parking pawl, you should be able to figure out whats goin on...
    There are many teeth on the drum that it wedges up against, I doubt all of them are broken off but you never know.