Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all Win2k gurus, Fixed it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Dec 19, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My mom installed this program onto her computer and now the thing wont boot up. Ive tried booting in normal and safe mode. I also tried to boot off of the Win2k CD to do a OS repair and that hung up too.

Anybody got any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Calling all Win2k gurus

<font color="green"> Boot into the recovery panel and try to remove the program from the file structure. You may need to remove it from the registry manually also, but that's beyond my abilities, sorry. </font color>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Need more details... Blue screen? Reboot cycle? Sits at the startup screen eternally?

Was it something to do with PC Anywhere or a sony digital camera?

There's also the chance that the hard drive is coincidentaly going bad...

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok It makes it past the normal BIOS startup fine.
    When i try to boot normally it makes it the second windows starting screen, the white one with the windows logo. It will fill the little percentage bar all the way then it will just stop there, but it wont freeze.
    On safemode after I press F8 and select safe mode it wont even make it past the first windows loading screen.
    On the CD it wont make it past the first part of loading stuff, the machine something something.
    If I had my camera from work i would take pictures of the screens for you guys.

O yeah no PC anywhere or sony digital camera. the hard drive is a little over a year old 30 gb maxtor.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

not always a good fix but it may help...
    Put her HD in you PC as a secondary HD, boot your machine on your HD and access her drive find the main folder of the BAD program and delete it. Remove and reinstall in her computer and try booting. maybe if the files are not there it will go ahead and boot up then you can do clean up work. I've got that to work once or twice.
    Most people are ready for a reinstall, format and start clean. What I usually do is partition in this case 10 and 20 gb areas (10gb as c:), install the os and change all the my document settings to save on D:.
    If ever in this case again all the data saved on D: will not be affected by f-ups on C:. there for Format and reinstall goes much faster with less down time recovering files. Windows was made to reinstall fresh every 6-9 months! (at least 98 was) I have run 2000 for about 2 years and its in dire need of refreshing. You will be surprised by the speed inscreases afterward. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

What program? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I let it sit for about an hour on safemode startup and it apparently booted up fine. I then restarted it to normal mode and everything worked normal. I geuss this comp is a little slow and had to think a while.
    Thanks for all the help

8. jjlaughner

odd, mine is locking up when it gets warm, let it sit for a while and its cool, I guess its time to send it off to IBM and get me a new one!
    I dont see how it could get worm with 3- 40mmx40mm blowing over it all the time!? It's going back to IBM for replacement though!