Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all wiring gurus

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, here is my situation. I have my 76 Blazer project that is nearly done. But, I also have a 74 Blazer sitting out front. This Blazer was going to be my project, but I changed my mind. I started on it actually pulled the body off, did POR-15 project on the interior floorboards, and put it all back together. After completely taking it down to the frame and building it back up, I have no idea how to do the wiring. I hooked it up as much as I could, and I can get it to turn over, but I'm sure I have stuff screwed up. I want to sell this Blazer but few are going to be interested in something they can't drive away.
    I am going to take it in the shorts anyways, but I want to make it attractive to sell at least. I bought it for $3,300 (got ripped) and have put about $1500 into it. All new LMC seals, new driveshafts, etc. The interior is pretty good but the body isn't real great. Good engine though with Weiand intake, Edelbrok carb, MSD distributor, headers, etc.

Here is my plea; I need a wiring guru to come over to the homestead and help me get all the wiring stuff dialed in. I'll throw in a few shekels and lunch for your time, whatever you think is reasonable, just not as much as the automotive electric shops want to rape me for. Dremu has volunteered and he is a good wrench but I really want somebody who is really good at reading a wiring schematic and good at electrical (no offense Dremu). I'm lucky if I don't shock myself across the yard on a weekly basis. Mechanical, sign me up. Electrical, I suck. I live in Livermore, which is near Dublin, Tracy, Pleasanton east of the east bay area. The other option is to buy it from me as is cheap, then fix it and resell it for a lot more, but that takes a leap of faith only a few are willing to take.

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

livermore-used to live there many years ago :) i would love to help ya out and i only charge beer. but im south now. if its there in a month i can prolly help out a bit when i go to see my mummy. or can answer any Q's if u have em. ive been through a but ton of school for it(almost $900,00 worth)

3. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

livermore-used to live there many years ago :) i would love to help ya out and i only charge beer. but im south now. if its there in a month i can prolly help out a bit when i go to see my mummy. or can answer any Q's if u have em. ive been through a but ton of school for it(almost $900,00 worth)

its not as bad or complicated as u may think. carbs and trannys are way harder(heck i cant figure mine out :o )

4. Desert Rat

I suspect it is going to sit all winter unless I get some help quick. I have the wiring diagrams and I will be giving it a shot at some point. But, if you come up for winter break, and are bored, I may give you a shout......

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm ... Doug. Did I mention I was supposed to be an EE when I grew up? :D I can read *and write* schematics! Part of the proof that I'm qualified electrically is that I'm scurred to touch that rig ... which reminds me, did you fix your "distribution block" on the '76 yet? :haha:

Anyway, I thought the starter and the dizzy were all that was busted on that '74 ... is there more?

-- A

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  6. Desert Rat

Well, I guess I dissed you with that post. I think the starter wiring is still messed up but the lights do odd things too. I think I am going to have to disconnect everything, follow the schematic, and start over. I have a guy dragging his Burb over pretty soon to fix his mashed front end, but after that, maybe we can get something done before old man winter sets in (we Ca. folks are such wimps)............

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sho nuff. I gots mad skillz, yo.

That'll give me time to get Tankie prepped for BlazerBash, anyway ... gotta put in my Detroit and (finger-crossed) my front ARB.

-- A

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There aren't even that many wires on a '74! ;)

When lights start doing strange stuff, it's usually because you have a bad ground somewhere. EVERY ground connection in the harness needs to be grounded properly or some bizarre stuff will happen. I once had a loose ground at the drivers side tail light on my '77. If I was backing in to the driveway (thus powering on the reverse lights), and then put my foot on the brake (powering on the brake lights), I could turn off the key and the engine would keep running. :eek1: The bad ground was creating a power loop that somehow managed to power the distributor/coil back through the harness. Once I fixed that ground, the engine would turn off properly. :cool1:

9. Desert Rat

Yep, the wiring harness ona 74 is pretty simple. But, I am a booger eating moron when it comes to electrical theory. I don't even hardly get the concept. I had to cheat just to get my electricity merit badge back in scouts.

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

dc theroy is like watyer in a pipe. has to flow from one to another. series and parallel circuits are the same way. always going to find the easy path. i can e-mail some easy lessons if u like :D

although that doesnt help for right now