Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling anyone who's pulled a carrier out of a 14FF..help meeeee!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AussieK5, Aug 19, 2002.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Calling anyone who\'s pulled a carrier out of a 14FF..help meeeee!

After reading all the posts lately about weldeding up rear ends I couldn't handle having having that lazy, good for nuthin open centre staring at me as I worked on the rest of the truck. Well I've broken out the air tools and had it almost apart in about 5 min flat but the damn thing (carrier) wont come out...do I need to pull the pinion too?? What is it hanging up on?

And yes the axles are out and no I dont have a chiltons, just a haynes manual which doesnt cover carrier removal.

Thanks in advance guys!

I cant wait for this weekend!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Calling anyone who\'s pulled a carrier out of a 14FF..help meeeee!

The carrier is held in by two positioning screws. I dont know what the official name for them is but they are round and on each end of the carrier and I think that there are round holes in them but cant remember as it has been awhile. Take a punch and mark where they are as this is important. Now unscrew them away from the carrier and you should be able to pull the carrier out. Sorry about this vauge explanation, Its been a long time since I've been in mine ( they dont break ).

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Near each carrier bearing is a single bolt that is holding down a piece of steel wire that is shaped like a bent "U". The ends of the "U" are stuck into the small holes in the steel ring that is just outboard of the carrier bearings. Carefully mark the exact postion of each of the steel rings, in relation to the housing. They are the bearing adjusters and are threaded into the housing. Remove the bolt and the u-shaped steel part, theninsert a thin screwdriver or something simliar into one of the holes in the adjusters and rotate them so that they screw further into the housing. Don't forget to count EXACTLY how many times each adjuster rotates, as you want to put the adjusters back to the exact same positions when you reinstall the carrier.

Once you have screwed each adjuster into the housing 2 to 3 turns, the carrier will be loose enough to remove from the housing. It's a good idea to leave the carrier bearing caps loosely in place until you have the bearings loosened up. This way the carrier won't suddenly fall out. It's pretty heavy! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

To reinstall, just put the carrier into position, then again install the carrier bearing caps about finger tight. Then rotate the bearing adjusters to put them back exactly where they were before you loosened them. (This is why you kept track of how many turns on each side). This is the backlash setting for the gears. As long as you put it back to where it was, then the backlash will be just where it was before you started. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Jason,

Here's an article that show disassembly and reassembly of a 14 bolt for a Detroit installation. It goes through the proper procedures with the adjuster rings etc etc and has plenty of good pic's.

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/detroit/

Rene

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so do Aussies have the proper spanner to loosen the adjusters?
    I think Brits own that kind of stuff, have yet to see one over here

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I didnt even know that there was a proper tool.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, no doubt, I just used a philips screw driver to turn them suckers... worked for me!

J

8. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys..not only did I get the info I was after but you answered my next set of questions too! Will be doin' some welding tonight /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'll try and remember to capture everything on the digital cam so I can help out any members contemplating this sweet upgrade. Maybe add more pics to the existing ck5 tech article?
    oh..any comments on this? On the carrier one of the R&P bolts had almost come out! scary /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I might even take some time off work to keep goin with the build, so far in the last week I've rewired almost the whole thing, built a new battery tray, new seats, carpet, seat belts, hubs, front bearings, fresh holley, arrested some rust, added some sound and did a few seals.
    Just this to do, build a flatbed, fab a bull bar, lift it (prob 4"), ditch the pos 305 for a 350, add pwr steer, ditch the 33s for 35s, add aircon, fab some sliders, bolt on spotties, new steering wheel, fab a snorkel, mount a winch and build a cool centre console that will hold beer. Oh yeah..and fly to the states and bring home a 60. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    I might take a week or two off!

9. tRustyK5

Sounds like my never-ending list./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

One thing I get with having the rear welded is people ask me if my truck is broken.../forums/images/icons/grin.gif I love the look on their face when I say "Nope I did that to my truck on purpose..."

Rene

10. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene,
    thanks that for that link, its really helped. I didnt mark the keepers when I took them off, just had a good look at them...ooops. Looks like I'm about to become a diff expert through trial and error /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Cant wait to start chirpin! You should see the looks I get round here when I'm just driving around. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. tRustyK5

Well the good part is you don't have to mess with pinion depth. Get some gear marking compound and keep adjusting until you get the correct pattern, then lock em down. Don't adjust the rings too tightly against the carrier, just enough so there is no lateral movement of the carrier.

Rene

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    One thing I get with having the rear welded is people ask me if my truck is broken... I love the look on their face when I say "Nope I did that to my truck on purpose..."

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! I havent even had my 14 welded for a week and I've already had people ask me whats wrong with it...lol. And I love pullin into a crowded gas station..Everyone stares. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

there aint many lifted blazers around here,just a lot of heaps so when people see mine they all stare.helps that i have this nice paint job also.lol /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif