Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling Fabrication gods......:)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jun 4, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, My next project is new rear bu,ber with clevits(D-rings what ever. But the bumber needs to be square for the high lift....right?
    Well, I was looking at the rear section of frame on the 90 model and the frame ends with an angle to match the stock bumpers. What are some ideas to somp for this when I have my new bump made???

Also going to extend the frame of a 78 burb by 5 inches, to accomodate a 40's panel wagon body.... best way or ideas as to how to make the frame strong from the extension???
    Over laps, bolts, welds, etc etc etc..... Not my idea, just helping a bud...

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

2. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

ASk rene he bumbers are COOl i think he jsut welded them on cant really ember was dark when he was here as for the frame i was tol by my unlce in shorten a frame you vut the section out then weld it over teh part you ut and buted if that makes sence so in leaght a frame do the same i would guess
    if it wear me id ask body shop ill ask my uncle this week if i see him

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd just cut the frame off square. I had to cut mine at an angle for my front bumper.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about the cutting thing. But wasnt sure. Sounds cool to me.

Just need to rid myself of the stock rear, so I can add me tow points and use my High lift without that crappy curved bu,per chain attachment I got.

Come AWN... Keep the ideas coming.....BRB

Gotta go tear up Crazeebush's front yard. He told me to go to bed....
    Man.....dont he know my wife is out of town and Im drinklin''''''''
    [​IMG] j/k..... I think

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Hey heres my opinion on the bumper idea, I'm welding tubing in the spot you are talking about to mount one D-shackle on each side of the frame, that way it is tied right into the frame and not from a bumper. Then i'm building my bumper to work around the D-shackles, I'm doing the same to the front of the frame too. As for the custom frame work for the 40's panel body... adding more to a burban chassis? why that seams to be plenty long for a 40's era vehicle if not too long. I went with a blazer chassis for mine. thats just my 2 cents

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

That is what I was thinking for the Panel...The guy that is doing it hasnt got a clue on some things and has asked me. He wants to extend the frame, but I havent compared the 2 yet. But I would think the frame should be long enough too..

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I aint got enough yard to tear up. Let's do ti man, I'm ready to cut some [censored], let me practice on your truck. I want one of those plasma cutters. That would be fun. I'll go ahead and trim the fenders enough so you can get some 40"+ tires on with that 4" lift. [​IMG]

Hi, my name is Josh, and I'm a bandwidthaholic. I've been bandwidth free for 1 week.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://josh.coloradok5.com>http://josh.coloradok5.com</A>

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, since your taking you time on purchasing the lift materials, we may need to try that fender cutting on YOUR RIG!!!!!

9. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

If I had the money for the lift, it'd already be done. I barely eek by as is. Notice we're the only people in the CK5 world that seems to be alive and kicking at this time? lol First exhaust, then I'll move on to other projects. Its hard to save money when the gf gets her fair share. I'll say she's worth it though. Hey, at leats my tuition went down, I got a PEL grant for school.

Hi, my name is Josh, and I'm a bandwidthaholic. I've been bandwidth free for 1 week.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://josh.coloradok5.com>http://josh.coloradok5.com</A>

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Brandon,
    On tRusty the ends of the frame were a bit bent an butched as it was so I trimmed them off square and welded the bumpers right to the frame. I am going to build some new bumpers for T2, similar but a new and improved version. The frame on T2 is not messed up at all so I'm hesitant to hack it. I think I'm going to 'pocket' the backside of the bumper so I don't have to cut it and then I can also retain the torsion spring for the tailgate. I'm going to use some 3/8" or 1/2" plate bolted to the frame and going right through the bumper for my clevis shackle mounting points so the pulling stress is directly on the frame.
    I'm also toying with some improvemnets in the tire carrier...depends on how ambitious I get at the time.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Right on. That sounds sorta like what I had swirling round me cranial while laying there having a look.
    Thanks "T"....[​IMG]"T2"

12. tRustyK5

I'll take some pics when I get that far...

Rene...T2 build-up has begun[​IMG]

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene. I could use them. I'd like to be able to remove the bumper at some point in time if need be. So I do like the idea of welding a flat that sits perfectly vertical and then having the bolt holes go all the way through and have the bumper and Clevits attach right there at the vertical plate. Is this sorta like what your talking about? Kinda sounds the same to me. ITs hard without the visuals.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ftn96 on 06/05/01 08:48 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One thing to keep in mind when building bumpers for a K5 is that when the tailgate is lowered, the outer body panel does not lay flat. It angles downwards. Measure twice, cut once! [​IMG] If the bumper sticks out very far, it has to be lowered to clear the tailgate when it is opened.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I used 3.5" round tubing for mine and I cut a little off the rear frame section and then notched out the rest of the frame over hang and sat the tub inside of it. Then we welded it right to the frame.
    I am goign to redo the old bumper and make brackets to bolt it on. Then over the winter I am going to fab two new bumpers...

A Hi-lift isn't that much weight, you could weld bolts off the bumper and then slide the hilift on and then use large wing nuts to secure it. That is similar to what I did...

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

16. tRustyK5

I'm going with 2"x8" box tubing again. The inside of the bumper will have an area cut out that the end of the frame can fit into. The outside of the bumper will have a slot cut in it about 1/2" wide and 3 to 4 inches long vertically. I'll make two side plates that will catch at least three holes on the frame on each side, and poke through the bumper. Once the bumper is set in position the side plate will be welded to the bumper itself and it'll be a bolt on deal...make sense? I'll then add some support plates on either side of the mounting plate so the clevis doesn't rattle around too much.

Pictures will help immensely...[​IMG] My goal is to crowd the body as much as possible without cutting the rear off the frame. With the tailgate dropped on tRusty I have about 1/2" clearance between the gate and the bumper and a reasonable departure angle.

Rene

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Roger Doger....
    On the Hi-lift note. I was talking about being able to use my hi-lift. Not mount it. It doent be working with the stock round bumpers nad that damn adapter aint all its cracked up to be.

Any ideas on the panle truck/burban frame extention, should we "actually" need to lengthen it??
    I was thinking, if we must lengthen it like he said he wants to do by 5 inches, I was thinking that we could have a 10" overlaop on each side of the 5" extention, bolt it together and weld away. And then where the panel cab flooring will be sitting on frame hump and rear frame hump, so I was thinking weld a 3"x3" tube of 1/8 or 3/16 material from the crest of the rear hump to the front to give mid cab support.

18. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Rene has made some mean-ass bumpers...
    I am really impressed with his fabrication skills..
    Both bumpers he made... rear bumper looked like the SEC w/ spare tire carrier and had the d rings, back up lights and the front bumper had the mount for the hi-lift and d rings..
    But I was equally impressed with the towbar he made... with the measurement's I gave him from a truck he never seen before buying it..
    The towbar mounted right up...
    Hope you don't mind the ranting Rene... I just want to acknowlege great talent when I see it... [​IMG]
    Can't wait to see some updates of trusty 2.0..

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I use my Hi-Lift on my round bumpers.... Just keep a good eye on it. I have never had a problem....

Sorry I forgot about the frame extension. I have seen it doen a few ways. I have seen some people use a piece of C-channel on the outside and inside to connect the two. They bolt them and weld them together.
    Also, I ahve seen some use a c-channel piece on the inside and a filler piece in between the two cut frame pieces. Then you can fillin the gaps with weld to make it look like it hasn't been cut on the outside. This method was bolted and welded also....

HTH

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>