Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

calling hood pin experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Apr 8, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Looking to run the removable hood pins, I am tires of the hinge set up that warps and scers up the hood.

What i am looking for is any suggestions or problems to look out for while doing this. I assume 4 will work, but also thinking about leaving the hood bolted up to the hinges and just removing the springs, but wont that cause it to move around or wiggle. If so could I use the hood pins all the way around with the one in each corner. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I also just got my check for the winch today so looks like I am going to pick up every thing to do the front gears and then paint supplies and a windshield, well got to got get parts, hi ho, hi ho to 4wpw I go hi ho, hi ho, hi ho /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My truck is finally getting close, I'm so happy I could kiss it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there isn't any other shop you can give your hard earned coin to besides 4wp thief?

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need some tension in those hinges for them to work right they sell low tension hood springs that work with fiberglass hoods you might try those and a set of hood pins the front /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. supersize75

it is so cheap and close though, I like to refer to them as 4wpfawkups /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have autofab hood pins. THey are the only way to go. Easy to install...quality craftmanship... not cheap but you get what you pay for.IMHO
    http://www.autofab.com/hoodpins.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

their website says they are about 12.50 each

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have autofab hood pins. THey are the only way to go. Easy to install...quality craftmanship... not cheap but you get what you pay for.IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]
    Got pics of your pin setup? Tried your webshots but it no longer exists.

8. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

not yet... but as soon as I borrow someones digicam I will take all types of photos... I'll put that on the list.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, until ya have pics, can you describe the pin mounts for us just in case someone would want to do the same setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

well, my hoods narrowed so they actually mount just inboard of the framerails. The autofab units are a polyurethane compound so they have some give. The pins mount into the radiator support or you can build a mount for them. It is always best to mount the pins first then mark where the will enter the hood. THere are some pretty good instructions on www.autofab.com go to accessories then hoodpins. Their stuff is very high quality. Most fab shops use their stuff

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If you are hooked on the hood pin idea I can't give you any help.BUT...
    I also boogered up a few hoods because the hinges suck. I discovered that if you just shoot a little WD-40 or penetrating oil on the pivot points of the hinges every couple times you open the hood, it closes SOOO much better.IMHO a can of WD-40 is a lot cheaper than hood pins. Pins are a PITA.

Also, the hinges still work properly w/o springs, I have had my hood off several times to make room in the engine bay when doing stuff in there. I always take the springs off and then unbolt the hinges. Sometimes I put the hood on w/o the springs and it always closes and stays that way for me.

If you use lighter springs or no springs you will have to make a prop rod to keep the hood open. If you use no hinges you will have to take the hood off everytime you want to open the hood, even to check the oil. Not fun if you have a steel hood, Expensive if you drop a 'glass hood.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    a can of WD-40 is a lot cheaper than hood pins. Pins are a PITA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but pins add approximately 35 horsepower, that's why I want to. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for 'glass hoods, I've only messed with one and a drop as you described wouldn't break it.

13. supersize75

well the hood isn't glass but it is bran new, in responce to....
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you use no hinges you will have to take the hood off everytime you want to open the hood, even to check the oil. Not fun if you have a steel hood

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have no inner fender wells so not that bad..j/k

I really dont know what to do know I think I will try the w-40 for a while, if it doesn't solve the issue I will try no springs and then the hood springs last.

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

2 pins makes 35 HP, 4 pins make 100 HP( they compound on each other) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But we all know torque is what you need in a 4x4, right? So how many lbs/ft does a set of pins make? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Maybe you could pin your back gate to make even more power and keep the weight evenly distributed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you still have the little triangle rubber thingies near the back of the fenders in the hood gutter, the hood will in place just fine without springs on the hinges. No wigglies...

Removing the springs will make the hood pretty hard to lift, but it's not terrible. I have no springs on mine, no fenders either, but I have the later model cowl mount hinges. I made a hood bar our of 1/2" conduit and a fender shim (the fork type with a tab). Just slid the tab down in the conduit with the fork pointing up and spotted it in place. The fork fits on the hood latch loop. I stick the fork in place and use the bar to push the hood up, then set the end of the conduit over one of the hood latch bolts to keep it in place (conduit is ground to fit down solid). Weighs all of about 1 pound and makes dealing with the hood a snap...

One more thing. I *HATE* that @#$#% hood latch. Keeps jamming on me. Things shift too much with no fenders. When I get my new hood modified and in place it will use pins and hinges...

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'll second the AutoFab hood pins.
    To clarify a little; the pins are steel, it's the escutcheon that is urethane. The escutcheons extend down tru the hood to rest on the pin's jam nut. This way the hood is riding on urethane. No squeaks or rattles that way.