Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

calling Network config guru!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ftn96, Mar 20, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just got high speed cable access at work, but I had the office setup using file share via a hub. But now the cable access requires DHCP and obtains IP's automatically.
    How can I maintain "inneroffice" file share connectivity while still allowing each computer to get out on the internet via the high speed cable???? If this is deaply involved please feel free to call me 800-467-2316 anytime between now and 5 pm CST. Im waiting!!!!!!! Name is Brandon

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm not a guru, but I have a network (mine is wireless, but that doesn't matter). If you are using Windows networking capability, then just connecting all the computers to a hub allows them to talk to each other. But they all maintain their individuality so would all be assigned different addys for internet. Which you'd pay for.

What I have is a router, which connects to my cable modem. The router is assigned the IP address and is the only IP address visible to the cable modem (or dsl modem). Then your other computers would hook into the router. The router also acts as a firewall. All would then have access to the internet.

There is some configuring to do to make it work. i had my computer guy do it while i was out of town, so don't know what needs to be done there. But instructions should come with the router. I have a Netgear MR314 wireless router.

Hope this helps a little.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i could also use some info about this i have a cable modem at home and my wife's and my pc are networked together and works fine and we used to be able to share the internet conection so we could both be online now only mine will go online /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i dont have a hub nor can i aford to buy one right now my cable modem is hooked up to mine with a usb port and then i have the 2 pc's networked with networking cards can anyone help?

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I just had this issue not too long ago when I redid the network at my church. Basically, I used the Linksys Cable/DSL router for.. well the router. It took me a while to get everything working right but it finally did. Here's what I did.

Take the router, go ahead and set it up with the ISPs settings, then for the internal network you need to set the IP to an address that is open on your current network, so your router will have a static address and the computers will use DHCP, now the problem I had was the file server had to use DHCP as well, so if you have anything pointed to the servers static IP you'll need to change the DNS entry for it. You could alway try the static IP but in my case it would not work unless the server was using DHCP. Oh.. BTW, if your file server is currently assigning IPs with DHCP you will need to turn that off and have the router assign IPs. Like I said before this is what I had to do with the Linksys Cable/DSL router, and I'm not sure what router you plan on using.

If you need any more help or are just really really confused by my description /forums/images/icons/wink.gif, just send me a PM and I'll give ya a call.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok.. I just read your post again and I didn't see any mention of using a router, so did you plan on purchasing a router or did you want to try and hook the cable to one PC and share the internet connection? What OS are you using?

Unless you plan on buying a router I really don't see how you would be able to share the connection with more then 1 computer unless you paid for extra IPs.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Someone else told me about running another NIC in my PC or any of the File Share PC's and have it set up for the DHCP to the internet. Then share that access to all the other Non-DHCP (IP specified by me) PC's and allow them to the internet that way. So Im thinking another PC with software based firewall. Maybe a Linux system or something. Im not very familiar with Linux though. But the router deal doesn't sound to bad.
    So I could keep my little file share network, all with fake address that only we see, then from that HUB send that to the router which would see all the peeps behind the hub as one PC and then from there it will go DHCP? Is this ball park correct? If so, which relatively cheap router do you all recommend?

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It will go like this.

Router- Hub- (PC/Server)

The router will serve as a DHCP server internally, so all of the PCs and Servers will have an assigned address Internally. You will need to supply the router with the IP address that you received from your cable provider. The router also acts as a hardware firewall. Externally the only IP anyone can see is the actual IP of the router, they have no idea anyone is connected on the other side. Internally you will be able to use any IP address that you want as long as you let DHCP assign it.

I'd recomend the Linksys Cable/DSL router, you can get it in a 2, 4 or 8 port version so it will double as a hub as well. I think you can generally pick them up for under $100, if it's a small business this would be a good choice, as it was for my church but if it is a large business (I'm assuming it's not based on the fact you have cable and not a T1 or T3) then I would recomend stepping up to a better Cisco router.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

KEWL! thanks dude!

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Let me know what you end up doing.