Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling on the Powers of the Chevy World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's a well known fact that us in the wild world of law enforcement have a very limited selection of vehicles to do our job. Ford has held the top spot for many a year, especially when Chevy pulled out. Now we have the Dodge thingy coming up that's promising to be the new hot rod, but it's kind of untested. Chevy is reentering the market with the Tahoe and just not any Tahoe; but one that can sort of keep up with the CVPI and can even match the top speed.

I have come to find the CVPI nice and is a real working car for us county dawgs. Even though there is always the push for us to go to a full fleet of 4x4 Chevy 1/2 tons, I've always resisted the urge because they don't keep up with the CVPI. While my mobility can be somewhat limited by the CVPI and some the areas I have to cover, I appreciate the fact that when it's needed, I have the speed to get somewhere fast or track down a speeder quick. The Chevys we use don't have that ability, and with the Exploders and the one Expedition, we only have 5 CVPIs in the fleet.

Ever since I've taken my mother's Duramax for a spin, I would like to think that someone somewhere would pull their head out of their ass and realize that the possibility for that machine to be a patrol vehicle is great. The thing will beat the CVPI to 90 mph in a heartbeat, and if they would rework it to top out at about 130-140, along with the 4x4 capability, us county dawgs out here in the wide open spaces of America would be in heaven.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I'm about sick of my CVPI. In the last month, I've had to leave it at the office or the shop 3 times for various BS. One was a recall, which why I demand the head of the idiot that was the reason for that recall. The other two times has been when I blew the coolant out one day (figure out why :D ) and today, I gas up and I drive a total of ten miles, burning a half a tank of gas. It was blowing out of the fuel line. Since I've had this car, it's probably seen the shop at least 6 times for various BS reasons. I could BS you and tell you that I don't abuse it, but when you've had a car for 11 months and have put 45K on the odometer, and it's a cop saying that, you'd know it's BS. I don't abuse it when the abuse is not needed.

I'm ready to trade it in and get me one of them there pursuit Tahoes. Seems to me all of this trouble is the fact that I'm a Chevy guy driving a Ford. Bad Karma.................................

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You have the option to pick your own vehicle?

Man, I'm missing out on LE... Maybe that should be my career switch after I win lotto...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ford has the Police Interceptor Excursion. Or did, my landlord has one. 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion.

4. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I work on our city's police cars, they're all CVPI's except for the detective's Expeditions. We have somewhere around 35 CVPI's and every one of them have either run hot or had to have ignition coils replaced. Most have over 100k on them though. We buy MO hwy patrol turn ins. They get new cars at 50k.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Sort of, kind of, not really...................................

We've got one patrol guy that picked his vehicle, the guy that has the Chevy pickup. Let's just say that it suits him just fine......................

The way it works is what ever is sitting around when one starts, that is what they get. We try to keep them at an 80K limit, and when I got my new one, my 2000 CVPI had around 130K. We have two Exploders and the Expedition. The undersheriff has the Expedition, and our investigator has an Exploder. Doesn't make since for him to have a CVPI since he very rarely works patrol. Our only spare right now is our other Exploder and I feel sorry for the new guy because 1. it's a POS and 2. everyone else has pretty much refused to take it after what happened to it's previous caretaker.

I can pretty much say that we're not getting anymore Exploders and will probably replace them with the Chevy P/U. Sometimes people will talk about how all of us need 4x4, but in the year and half I've been here, I've only really needed 4x4 about 4 times and most of that has been during snowstorms.

Fact is that my county is about 30 miles wide and 60 miles long. A CVPI top speed is advertised at 126mph. I've had that go pedal buried to the floor for 50 miles at a time and it still takes me awhile to get somewhere. We don't have enough bad weather and I know the places I can go and can't go and even then, I've had my car places I shouldn't because I know what I'm doing to really justify an all 4x4 fleet. Besides, my SGT opened his mouth the other day about us swapping cars. He only works day shifts and is lucky to hit 100-200 miles in a week, maybe 300 if he is lucky. On a normal night, 300 miles is normal for me and I'm trying to stay around 250. We're predicting that by about March, I've hit my 80K so he suggested we swap so we can string out the life of the cars a little bit. And besides, he has a 2005 CVPI and those things eat the '04's up. :D

Mine seems to detest the hot weather with a passion. Three of us went to a domestic a couple of weeks ago at 4:30PM. There was one of our '05s and our P/U there. We all left the A/C running when we got there and we all had to run hot for 10 miles. I was the only one that had overheating problems. I think it must be the miles on it though.

6. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I replace alot of those junk plastic radiator caps and thermostats. I try to keep the radiator fins washed out too. I've got one now that I'm trying to get them to retire. It has 161K on it, has a slight knock, and was run so hot that it quit running. A few weeks ago it was in with a #2 miss, found #2 plug mashed shut. I looked down into the plug hole with a small light and saw no damage to the piston so I put a new plug in it. Two days later it came back with a #3 miss, same thing, bent plug, still no piston top damage. Has had a right side converter code as long as I've been working on them, I think the converter is coming apart and pieces are being sucked back upstream. They want me to patch it up so it can get back on the road. :dunno:

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Chevy should make a SS 4x4. A half ton with a 6.0L will haul royal balls (my mom's 2500HD does...). If they offered the SS package without all the bells and whistles (PI package) that would be perfect for you country bumpkins as well as the state troopers who have to carry the bigrig scales.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

BRB I need to get you to hook up with our Fleet and commercial guy that sells police cars for GM, we sell them all over the US its pretty cool. If you want me to get you his number let me know.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

The "police pursuit" Tahoe isn't exactly what you might think it is cracked up to be. In fact, I was told that it is basically a Caprice Classic with a Tahoe body. So, you get a Caprice Classic with more weight and body roll. The problem with the "pursuit package" is that GM designed these Tahoes to meet specs laid down by most state's highway patrol. In the case of Ca., the CHP has certain specs in order for a vehicle to qualify for consideration. In order to make the Tahoe meet these specs, they basically turned it into a car.

The problem is though, is that most agencies then want to use it to haul all kinds of equipment around. Usually a lot more than what you can fit into a Crown Vic trunk. So, you end up with a car chassis, with an SUV body, carrying twice the weight. The end result is that the Tahoe goes through brake pads, wheel bearings, etc. at twice the rate of other vehicles. My personal opinion is that if you want to get a Tahoe for law enforcement, skip the pursuit package and just get a 4x4 with all the heavy duty upgrades. You won't be chasing a lot of folks, but you probably shouldn't anyways in the "pursuit" Tahoe that will be overloaded. By the way, the Sheriff's Dept. around these parts runs Expeditions in the rural areas, and they love them.

As for the Crown Vic, I think they are like any American car. Some are good, some are lemons. I've seen many of them run up to over 100k miles, beat on a daily basis for two shifts 7 days a week (20 hrs. per day non-stop) with no major problems.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I've thought about the Tahoe long and hard. I think the only real drawback for my use would be the wind that we have. A CVPI is already a load and a half to handle at speed with a crosswind, I think the bigger cross section of the Tahoe would be kind of "exciting."

We have two Expeditions right now. The spare one, which is parked in my driveway, which replaced our 90-something Blazer :mad: and our new one. There's just something about it that I don't like. Could be the vinyl seats or because it's so damn huge.

As for the CVPI, my old one was a freaking monster. It had a new tranny in it, and it was one of the best runners we had at the time. Our spare car is a '01 I believe and it belonged to our old SGT. He didn't baby it by any means, but that thing is still a rocket. I'm thinking that maybe we got some bad '04's. I've had the countless problems with mine, and when the fuel sender went out in mine, the spare '04 we had at the time, I jumped in that one and the same damn thing happened. I like 'em, I'm just a little irritated at them at the moment.

Maybe Chevy will hear the voices and bring back the Caprice :D

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Our cop car guy says the police like the 9C1 impala better than the CVPI, if you do get a tahoe you can get a 9c1 package that is lowered and they handle pretty good, its pretty windy down here and the tahoe's handle decent.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really think the Law Enforcement vehicles should be ordered as a basic vehicle, and each dept should do the upgrades on the vehicles that best fit the area the vehicles will be used in. I can see them comming with a more preformance engine for what all Law Enforcement officers will need. But out in the country, I would think 4wd with a small lift and 33" M/T's would be a good thing too have. Ofcorse I'm thinking about the area I live in, I'm sure needs would be different in other parts of the country.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

you know the '06 impala comes with a 5.3 v-8 in it, i bet it will probably be available in the 9c1 package, those should run really good from what ive seen.

Also the special service tahoes will probably do close to 140 cause they have 140 mph speedo, but I will ask tomorrow, the guy we have knows his ****.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We won't touch the Impala with a 10 mile pole. Word of mouth has it that they absolutely suck donkey balls for agencies like ours and really, I haven't found a cop, well maybe one that likes the Impala.

The Tahoe tops out at about 126, like the CVPI; according to the Michigan State Police.

If I could have had a genie, I would have loved to have taken our Blazer out to Cali to one of the desert shops. :D

15. Desert Rat

The Alameda Co. S.O. in Ca. has a big high speed course that they run with the help of a bunch of retired CHP guys who are experts. They took out several front wheel drive cars like the Impalas and ran them through the course. They found that once you change your driving style to fit with a front wheel drive car, they actually handled better and were faster than any of the rear wheel drive cars, including the Caprice Classic with the LT1. However, it also meant that they would have to redesign a course of instruction specifically for the front wheel drive cars and cater their classes to whatever kind of car an agency used, or teach both. Time consuming and expensive. Besides, most cops don't like FWD cars anyway.

Many large agencies use Impalas and Taurus's for detective cars. Their records for maintenance aren't exactly great. I would question how well they would hold up for patrol use. Cops tend to beat their cars pretty good. Impalas and the like also don't have enough room. After putting a cage in the back, you wouldn't be able to arrest anybody larger than a rhesus monkey....

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

One guy I talked to, he's a county guy also; said his agency got rid of the Impalas pretty quick. Seems like they couldn't hold up to us Okies too well. As for the rear wheel drive, it's kind of cool to spin 'em when rounding the corner, but I think I'd take a FWD CVPI if they made them. Now if I could find a partner with a cool European accent, we could do imitations of the rally drivers while working........................ :D

17. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

That must be nice.

I am going on 180K on my company owned 2001 Silverado.

Oh boy, only 60K to go until my new one! :doah:

18. Desert Rat

Round these parts, large agencies do 100k and 5 yrs. before retirement.

19. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Wollen sie ein BMW, um zu treiben?

Sie sind sehr schnell fur Polizisten!
    Oklahoma hat keine deutsche Autobahn thogh, zu schelt!

Viel Gluck mein freund. :thumb:

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We're trying 80K miles. Of course at my rate, that will be 1.5 years per car :D