Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling upon all TBI gurus!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85m1009, Jun 12, 2002.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I am changing out my Holley TBI to a factory GM TBI system. Problem....I do not have provisions for an EGR valve in my intake. Question...Will the motor still run properly if I do not connect the wiring to the EGR switch? I have searched for an answer but to no avail please help.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I think it will work with a computer & a chip that don't recognize the egr circut. If it's programed for egr and it fails to function, it won't perform correctly. If it doesn't know that it dosen't have egr your in good shape.
    I'm no guru but that's kind of the way it was explained to me.
    Jim

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not sure about the TBI trucks but I had TPI on my last blazer without an EGR valve and it still ran fine but would pull a code for no EGR valve input. I am sure that TBI would be the same.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My TPI setup originally had no EGR plugged in.........and no codes. It should run fine but your only issue might be the code.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What year is the TPI off? If you have a OBD2 it's probably going to be a problem. May have to switch to a EGR manifold.
    I'm going to be swapping in a 88 FI. I am pretty sure it's before they had the sensor on the EGR. It's quite possible that you could have a custom chip burned that would bypass the EGR the computer will want to see in it's stock form.
    Ht the main forum and look in that links post and there is a bunch of EFI related links. I'm sort of in the same boat on this. My 75 had no EGR so I may have to swap intakes.
    Are you using an adaptor to fit the thottle body to a 4bbl intake? Got a part number of where I can get that?

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The TBI is a complete setup including a distributor from an 87 van. It does not have a sensor just a set of wires to control the vacumn swith to the egr valve. I am using the Holley adapter from my existing throttle body to make it work. I have seen adapters in Painless wiring's catalog to bolt the TBI's on non TBI intakes.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TBI engines check for proper EGR operation by shutting off the vacuum to the EGR valve periodically, while the engine is cruising down the highway. When the computer shuts off the EGR, it expects to see a change in the output from the oxygen sensor. If it doesn't see the expected change, then it will set a Code 32 error.

TPI engines have a heat sensor installed in the EGR circuit that detects the heat change when the EGR valve opens. You could probably have a chip burned that ignores the EGR results. However, it's likely that the engine will ping under light loads without the EGR valve hooked up. EGR lowers combustion chamber temps by a few hundred degrees when it kicks in.

You could probably pickup a stock intake manifold from a JY pretty cheap. Or Summit sells an Edelbrock TBI intake with EGR ability for $213. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim- I'm also lookin for an adapter to fit a TBI to a 4bl intake. Look at the "After market intake mod" post.
    Jim

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> </font color> Thanks for the input! I think I am going to try it without the egr valve just hook up the solenoid valve and see what happens. Worst case I buy an Edelbrock performer egr version intake and add the valve. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Then you can sell me your intake and Holly Pro-Jection /forums/images/icons/grin.gif