Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

calliper grinding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Jan 23, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok,heres one for you guys,got a brand new,in the crate stii,hpd60 front,and am going to run a 15 inch rims by12-14.i was told from a guy,this wont work,(he works at a 4x4 shop here in town)he said hes heard of many people grinding the callipers,and significantly weakening them.i am buying some 38x15 tires,from a friend of mine and thats what i have to work with,and a 15 inch rim.the guy said most all the time the calliper will fail,leaving me stranded even if it is just enough to clear the rim.has anyone here ever broke ,or heard of anyone breaking these callipers after grinding? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifis this a common problem? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifive read the tech section already,just wanted to know first hand.YOURS TRULY HI PINION again, thank you

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I ground mine when I went to a 3/4 ton Dana 44 front. No problems whatsoever, and I'm not very concerned that it ever will be. There is plenty of material left. My Blazer is my daily driver, and I wheel often with my 3 kids. I ground them last July.

Hope that helps!

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yeah.mine is all d60 stuff,much larger,( i think).ive heard it dosent matter on a 44 cause i think there a little smaller,thanks for your time,hp /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.....anyone else have anything to say?

4. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I ground my 1 ton calipers on my D60 to accommodate 15" rims about a year ago. I have no braking problems at all. The calipers seem to be quite huge and can hack some grinding...please note that it is no short task to grind them...it took a few hours to do both sides.

If you ever bring your truck to a garage to have the caliper replaced they might have a hard time figuring out why they cant get the tire back on LOL

my .02

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thats cool.i just dont want to take my family plumetting to their deaths /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifoff a cliff somewhere.so youve never heard of anyone breaking one? the guy in there said hes heard of that ALOT.like from around 20 customers.i normally wouldnt have listened to him,but,on my way out the door he said he bought one of the first hi steer units off steven watson pesonally,as well as having him install it.he said hes got a blazer also and is a member.wich perked my ears up a little.so,you think it will be ok?HP

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're running Chevy outers and Chevy calipers it'll be fine. If you're running the Ford dual piston calipers I don't even think it's possible to run 15's...

Rene

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

alright.thanks.ive got the exact same callipers that are in the tech section,under calliper grinding,just wanted to check and see if what that guy said was true,or if its gonna be safe!!HP /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a b.s statment, with the amount of people on here, I have never heard of such a thing and I'm on here alot! Sounds like he would also be the person to say "I once had a stock jeep I took that thing everywhere, she never got stuck" He probably even has a stock truck or a cookie cutter Z71 or maby a cute jeep...that goes any where /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

have faith in CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I ground my calipers, but I had to grind less than most people because I am only running 2 1/4 or 2.5" inches of back spacing, I can fully tuck the tires in the wheel wells and I like the look so it is all good for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was done grinding in way under an hour /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're running Chevy outers and Chevy calipers it'll be fine. If you're running the Ford dual piston calipers I don't even think it's possible to run 15's...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I told him yesterday in the PM he sent me.

This is a common thing with Chevy axles and can be done with no issues. I've heard of people running anywhere from 4 1/4 to nearly no backspacing.

10. tRustyK5

Mine are ground just like that article. I run 15x10's with 3.5" of BS with no problems. I have had all 4 tires locked up in full panic mode with 40's and haven't had any trouble. I also did not hesitate to drive it 1200 miles each way to Moab...wheel the wee out of it etc, and I certainly didn't have any troubles or worries.

Rene

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The guy is full of it IMO. GM D60 calipers shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you use steel wheels, no aluminum. Also, some wheels require more grinding than others depending on back spacing and shell profile. More back space means more grinding. I'm running over 4" b.s. on mine with no troubles. Profile is another matter. I've never seen a steel wheel that was bad enough to cause a problem, but some claim they exist...

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That sounds like a b.s statment, with the amount of people on here, I have never heard of such a thing and I'm on here alot! Sounds like he would also be the person to say "I once had a stock jeep I took that thing everywhere, she never got stuck" He probably even has a stock truck or a cookie cutter Z71 or maby a cute jeep...that goes any where /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

have faith in CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I ground my calipers, but I had to grind less than most people because I am only running 2 1/4 or 2.5" inches of back spacing, I can fully tuck the tires in the wheel wells and I like the look so it is all good for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was done grinding in way under an hour /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] OR....mabey it was a little sales ploy to up-sell me on some16.5 aluminum rims i dont need...HMMM..thanks,HP /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. supersize75

[ QUOTE ]
    OR....mabey it was a little sales ploy to up-sell me on some16.5 aluminum rims i dont need...HMMM..thanks,HP

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

besides, if you ever get more involded or get in deep you can one day decide to convert your wheels to beadlocks /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif or not..what ever floats the boat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I had a friend in a Jeep slam into a canyon wall at over 35 mph, he turned two aluminum rims into a two piece rim! Cracked right in half, darn thing looked like a hubcap /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I had aluminum outlaws...they were off the truck in less than a month /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yeah,i know.just wanted to check others opinions on it,and ask people who have done it before.thanks,YT HP if my sons gonna drive it,i want it safe.mabey another 16.5 1200.00 rim sale commision he was tryin to cash in on.who knows. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Totally.i actually like the look of an all black bead lock,its just mean.and cheap too.i guess sometimes you can have the best of both worlds.RARELY,but sometimes.A good day,today was a good day.for now,ill probly go with the simulocks,due to cost. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifhp

16. supersize75

what ever works for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I cant beleave I just said that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. tRustyK5

If cost is a factor go with some black rock crawlers and call it a day. Simulocks are a waste of money...

Rene

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok rjf,now you can say i told you so....but dont gloat please...minimal on the gloating.ha!hp...ps TO: everyone,the closer i get to installing my hpd60,the more of a woody i get,so ,keep it up!! i feel like a kid again doing all this stuff,an exited wittle boy,HA!!!keep going A-team /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what ever works for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I cant beleave I just said that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah,yeah,i know,but those extra bolts will be the only thing poserish about it,i can promise you that. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifhp /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok rjf,now you can say i told you so....but dont gloat please...minimal on the gloating.ha!hp...ps TO: everyone,the closer i get to installing my hpd60,the more of a woody i get,so ,keep it up!! i feel like a kid again doing all this stuff,an exited wittle boy,HA!!!keep going A-team /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I just like the bead lopck look better because it is different and not very many people have them on the street. Also I think they have a little fatter outside bead...

So do you still wan't the 38's? There here waiting for you! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif