Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calloway Corvette motor Swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CTBlaz45, Jul 20, 2005.

1. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

:D I was recintly able to aquire a TPI Calloway corvette 350 that somebody had installed into a Range Rover then rolled it off there trailor. I think I got a good deal for 600 all of the computer stuff seems to be there as well as a second fuel pump under the hood. My question is do I sell it or do I replace my 89 K5's TBI unit which loves to just stall. Whop has done such a swap. How hard is the wiring. Is much interchangable with my TBI stuff? If I E-Bay the Calloway How much is it worth? Any input would be apreciated. Espcially about the swap.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does it still have the turbos? :eek1:

3. CTBlaz45

NO NO turbos

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Too bad. Those were the really awesome Callaway engines. :cool1:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It isn't that difficult of a swap since you already have TBI, so that shouldn't prevent you from doing it, but there are some differences (like fuel lines) that add some complexity and cost.

If your TBI is stalling, then installing another injection setup may cure that, but what if IT has problems? You'll still have to troubleshoot and fix that setup.

6. CTBlaz45

With my tbi I swaped the unit with aHolley one still had the same problems. The Calloway is a complete motor. Calloway AL heads everything.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well you swapped the TBI, and you still had problems. What if you swap this motor in and it doesn't start? You see where I'm going with this? Swapping an entire injection setup JUST to solve a problem isn't a good reason at all.

I'm not inferring that it wouldn't be a good swap, but that either way, you may have to spend time troubleshooting the issue, otherwise parts are going to get pricey.

What year is the vette motor? I was assuming it's an AL headed L98, but is it newer than that?

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Dude, you know they twin turbo those things right?

40+ lbs of boost kills an sbc in about 120k if your lucky. for the block and heads 600 is a good deal. the rest throw away and rebuild. Otherwise you'll be headin to work one day and boom... your left with a 600 dollar set of used heads.

Not to metion by the time your get the whole thing to work you'll probably have about 1k into it. I set out to buy H.O. motor for 2k and ended up spending 3200 when it was all said and done.

I never had problems with my tbi and it was all original until about 6 months ago because i wanted more hp. I say fix the tbi and sell the callaway for 800 then put the money into a cam, intake, and headers for the 350. Or spend 800 on some darts. Mad dog is sellin a set.

:cool1: :pimp: :deal:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  9. CTBlaz45

There are no turbo's. Just the motor and the feul injection set up computer and all. The motor was swapped into a range rover and they rolled it off a trailor. My sister in law went to High school with the Calloway kid, (Tough life Corvettes and Golf Clubs.) But she says he is real cool so I might have her call him or something. I can't imagine the milage to be to high anyway I don't think people in the North East drive those things too much.

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

these guys are great with EFI and might be a good source for info and parts. they also make custom wire harness's for your application if you need one.

11. CTBlaz45

Thanks i will check them out