Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam bearing help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jul 17, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I was just cleaning up my engine getting ready to put it back together (It's on a stand), and decided to knock out the big rear oil galley freeze plug (behind the cam) so that I could clean out the back part of the oil galley. Naturally I ruined the rearmost cam bearing in the process. Is it easy to put in new cam bearings or do I need to bring it to a machine shop? Is there some way I can fix the bearing because I didnt scratch the inside, I just knocked it out of its bore somewhat. I am really trying to avoid having to bring it to a machine shop because not only do I lack the use of a truck but I don't have much money left to spend. Also, how much do machine shops generally charge to put in new cam bearings? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-I just found a cam bearing installation tool for SB Chevys on Jeg's. Can I just buy this and new bearings and put them in? Or is there some machining required? Forgot to mention, I'm putting in a brand new cam.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's a total pain in the ass to put cam bearings in, and if you've never done it before, it's easy to screw up. Time to go see the machinist. He won't charge you much.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Yup time to take it to the machine shop. By the time you were to buy the tool and junk a cam bearing or two (which will happen the first time you try it more then likely) you would have been further ahead to just buy a whole set of cam bearings for around $20 and have them put in. My block should be ready tomorrow and i will post what the cost was on it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not to mention that if you don't line the holes up correctly, all hell breaks loose in your oiling system.

5. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Ok i got my bill back today. Cam beraing cost $15. Remove and install cam bearings @1 hr. labor was $45.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

See? $60 is cheap compared to a whole new engine when you don't get the oil holes lined up correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif