Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam bearing removal and installation (anyone know how)?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have never removed or installed cam bearings before. I have a collapsed lifter and possibly a bad lobe on the cam in my pulling truck. I am planning to install cam bearings, cam, lifters and new springs this weekend. I have access to a cam bearing remover and installer with a cam handle, but no instructions. I tried searching online but have not found much in the way of instructions. Can anyone help.

TIA Chris

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

been a long time...

I used one of those cam bearing installers years ago at the auto machine shop part of the parts store I worked at..it had a threaded rod and several nuts,and special "holders" that held the cam bearings square while you tightened the nuts to draw in the cam bearings..I recall it being a tricky process,I was asked by the guy who ran the machine shop if I ever used one before(he was baffled by it too!)..only once in vocational school shop had I seen or tried to use one before!..

I'd suggest visiting a machine shop and have them install them--they usually are not too expensive to have done,or if you insist on doing it yourself,they probably will show you how to use the tool (might bring yours with you)...The cam bearings are not hard to damage during installation,and the oil holes must line up perfectly--also,I think one bearings I.D. is smaller than the others,and must be installed in a certain location!(if I recall correctly??)...You cant buy just one cam bearing separately if you screw one up too--at least WE couldn't when we fragged one of them up! :doah: :crazy:

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I helped a friend do this years ago with a long wood dowel and flat piece of wood, just put the flat wood against the bearings, place the dowel down the cam bore against the wood, pound her in. Repeat for each one

With any method, make SURE the oiling holes line up!