Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam break in additive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 20, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I don't have any, where can i buy it, i should be done with my truck tomorrow, but forgot to buy any- where do i get it and how much does it cost? I guess i shouldn't start the motor up without it. I can't wait to drive the truck! I want to make sure i don't screw anything up, i guess it's pretty inmportant.

i know i need to keep it above 1500rpm for the first 30 minutes, but can i shut it off? and start it back up and then resume the break in?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Cam break in additive? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Are you talking about the cam break-in lube that you slather all over the cam before installation? Obviously, that is not something you add after the cam is installed. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

NO NO, of course i put that on, but in the directions it told me to use a cam break in additive in the oil.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Never heard of that. If you used the supplied assembly lube, things should be fine. Try and get the ignition close for quick start up, or you will wipe the cam clean and take a chance.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i know i need to keep it above 1500rpm for the first 30 minutes, but can i shut it off? and start it back up and then resume the break in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't.

EDIT:

Unless it overheats or gets REAL hot.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I also have never heard of a cam break in lube. WIth my 406 I just greased up the cam with the supplied assembly lube and installed it. When we fired up the motor for the first time I ran it for about 10 mins at 1500-2000 RPM's and shut it off due to the temp climbing. Waited about 15 mins and fired it back up for another 5 mins, cool off, another 5 mins. I did my cam break in in stages due to how much heat a newly started engine produces, my old 3 core and stock fan couldn't quite keep up.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never sucuessfully broke a cam in without having it overheat, but I refuse to shut an engine down during a cam breakin unless the temperature exceeds 250 degrees.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

MMMM glowing headers and burning paint /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have any, where can i buy it, i should be done with my truck tomorrow, but forgot to buy any- where do i get it and how much does it cost? I guess i shouldn't start the motor up without it. I can't wait to drive the truck! I want to make sure i don't screw anything up, i guess it's pretty inmportant.

[/ QUOTE ] Never heard of a additive for the break in, but I'm sure something like "Slick 50" would work.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just say NO to SLICK SHIFTY....

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Weird. Never heard of cam break in lube either. Never had one overheat while breaking in the cam either.

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When Ibought my crate 350 I got a little bottle of some engine break-in additive made by GM. It was in a little bottle, prolly a pint and it was blue. The instructions, for the motor or the additive, I don't remember, said to pour it in the lifter valley before bolting on the intake. After Iran the motor for 30 minutes, I drained the oil and added new oil, filter, and another bottle of the stuff for the next 500 miles. Then I changed it again for the next 2500 miles, after that I switched to synthetic. But this was for aa brand new motor, not just a cam.

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My Comp Cam came with said oil additive. Sounds like it doesn't make a crap whether you use it or not. Hope you enjoy the new HP /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif