Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam/carb. Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

which cam to give a little more torque and throttle response?lifters must be replaced at same time,correct?i'm seriously considering a Q-JET carb.which one?rochester,E-brock,weber?all the info you could give me,please!thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For a camshaft, I usely call up Comp Cams and see what they recomend. Carb, Rochester Q-jet.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Cam and lifters need to be replaced together. While you have it all apart you might as well replace your timing gears, they are cheap. Comp. Cams will help you find a good cam for your truck .... so will any GOOD parts store or speed shop. Autozone, Shucks and most NAPA stores are only good for buying oil and spark plugs. They rarely have knowledgable people behing the counter.

If you've never bought a cam before then you will probably be tempted to think "BIGGER IS BETTER". That's not necessarily true when it comes to camshafts. You want something that will start producing power at low RPMs. If you have a manual transmission you want power righ off idle. If you have an engine that is mostly stock and you want to get some more guts out of it then you will probably end up with a cam that is called something like an RV, Towing or 4x4 cam.

For a carb I'd have to vote for a Quadrapuke .... er, Quadrajet. :D The Quadrajet carbs have smaller primaries for better throttle response and gas milage. They are arguably the best for off road driving short of fuel injection. You can rebuild yours cheap (under $30) so why not give that a try first, you might even learn something :thumb:.

Edelbrock owns the Quadrajet name now and they make a really good carb (http://www.carburetion.com/after.htm). Jet (http://www.jetchip.com/) assembles a good Quadrajet as well. Be carefull when buying a Quadrajet carb and DON"T BUY THE CHEAPEST ONE YOU CAN FIND. A good Quadrajet will run you AT LEAST $250.00 if you get a really good deal. If you plan on spending around $400. you can get the best ones on the market tuned to your particular engine/camshaft.

Have fun!

:D