Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam for the 454, what do you recommend??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Feb 18, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I am wondering what cam to get and I need to decide quick so I can get the 75 up and moving again.

block I am messing with is

just bored 30 over
    the rest are bolt on's, performer intake, holly truck avenger and hooker headers with 3 inch pipes and 3 inch in/out 40 series flows.

any thoughts for those who have a comp cam extream 4x4 cam?

gas milage does not matter to me, but I dont want something to aggressive for crawling too. Heads are just rebuilt but need to find #'s on them they are stock but opened up some /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

any 454 guys out there?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

you want a roller or flat tappet?? Id really go roller since big blocks are notorious for eating cams. Im looking at a comp cams XR270HR roller cam for my dd, it has a broad torque curve but may be to high reving for a cawler.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would go with comp xtreme 4x4 part number 11-239-3 monster torque /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I went w/ a hydraulic roller crane cam. This is my cam Havent had a chance to drive it more than back down driveway and back up. Been sortin other crap out. But seemed to have good power in those eh, 40ft lmao. DD shows it only gained 70ftlbs from 2k(lowest it reads) to 4k (the max) It is a pretty moderate RPM cam. Mine is in a 496, it doesnt sound too big at idle. Sounds like a healthy BB. You can see if those #'s look about right for ur app.

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/096_097.html

I bought the 2nd on the list for the Xtreme 4x4 (.505/.515) for a .030 over 396. The guy who I was going to have put that motor together said he liked the specs on it. Too bad I havent been able to run it yet, he's had the motor for over 3 years and it's still not done.

I heard a Blazer with a 454 with the largest Xtreme 4x4 cam. It sure sounded good with open headers.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In this instance it really only takes one word:

"small"

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Ater my experiences with the comp cams 4x4 series , be careful what you do, bigger is't better. The high spring pressures tend to eat lobes. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

BBC will need new valvesprings with almost all cams anything bigger than stock. = $$$

The bigger of the 4x4 cams require dual springs which necesitate machine work to stock heads. = $$$

If I were to build a BBC again I would go with a roller. = $$$ Probably worth it compared to mthe gains. Not sure which cam I would choose though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif