Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam for the K5, opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Feb 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Puting another new engine in my K5 since I fried a bearing or two whens ome gas got into my oil. This one only has 2000 miles on it so it should be a nice strong motor for me. Want to put a slight lift cam in it before I throw it in and just want some opinions. Whats a good real torque building cam? Don't want a real lopey idle or bad mileage. I am liking the Competition Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam with 250/258 degree duration. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=13016 anyone have any opinions on this cam or another I should take a look at?

2. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Hey your looking in the right place! I use a 4x4 extreme energy cam in my big block and it gives a smooth idle with insane low end torque. I also advanced my cam a few degrees to increase that low end power even more. I have to say that after the 1500 dollars I spent before that on my rat, that cam made the biggest difference. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought that thing seemed pretty good, got to order one up.

4. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

That or the Extreme 4X4 with the same advertised duration and lift. It'll have a little more spread out lobe seperation angle (I'm thinking 112 LSA instead of 110 if memory serves me.) It'll pull a little more vacuum and grunt a little harder down low. If you had two engines exactly the same in two trucks exactly the same, but they had those two different cams. After extensive driving, you might notice the 20 dollars difference /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'd time it in straight up too. Don't advance or retard it any...