Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam for TPI in a TBI engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hustler, May 12, 2004.

1. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, I need some help here. I think I have the answer all ready, but want to here from you guys.

I have an 383 stroker in my 90 Jimmy. Its a TBI engine. When I had the engine built, the guy put a Comp cam for a 350 TPI, not TBI. I put many of hard miles on it. 60,000 to 80,000 and most of it was towing. I did do a little street racing with it also, but I will deny that to any officer that reads this. The engine ran great until a Month ago. I found out that the cam now has a flat lobe. When I call Comp cams up they said I had the wrong cam in and that it would not run correctly.

Here is the question. What do you guys think about that? Should I get the correct cam in and hope everything does run good or buy the same cam and hope it works the same as the my cam now did? Thanks for any and all input on this matter.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the springs installed were setup for the cam, then I see no problem. TPI and TBI cams are probably fairly similar in some respects, (high vacuum being a goal) so I don't see why it won't work.

Now of course, it may not be the BEST cam for your application, (383 probably needs/wants more cam than what a TPI or TBI engine ever had) but it shouldn't cause problems.

Tight lobe seperation is one of the main concerns with EFI, so stick with something 112* or numerically higher, although people CAN get 110 and 111* cams to work.

3. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Thanks,
    The cam I have in it now has a lobe seperation of 112.