Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dunehopper502, Oct 18, 2005.

1. dunehopper502

dunehopper502 Registered Member

i recently purchased a 98 long block vortec motor to install into my 90 k5 blazer. before i drop it in i wanted to put in a cam to wake it up, i purchased the tbi to vortec intake from gm and currently looking to upgrade my t.b.i. also but not sure which cam to use. im running headers,4:88 gear,chip,msd, and 38" tall tires if this helps on cam selection. im also thinkin of running a 1600-2000 stall convertor any advice would be greatly appreciated......

also i searched message forums and really couldnt get an answer either before someone tells me too.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can't get too wild on a cam with the stock Vortec heads, so keep that in mind. If you just want a bit more power, stay within the bounds of the spring issues.

I would suggest calling the cam manufacturers, telling them what you have and what you want to do, and see what they say. You might specifically have to tell them you don't want to mess with the valvesprings, and see what they come up with.

Another alternative might be a used cam out of a car like a later Camaro. See that kind of stuff on ebay and thirdgen.org all the time for like $100. Go price roller cams new! Still computer friendly, still roller, and a pretty brainless swap. Only question (again) would be the valve springs and whether the pathetic Vortec springs can handle a more aggressive (but stock) cam grind. Pretty hard to find specs on the Vortec cam, but I was quoted a long time back that they were in the .420" lift range, and would almost certainly be 112*+ LSA.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

you can expand your cam choices with the vortec heads by using the new " beehive " springs and you dont have to machine the heads.Comp cam's offers these and probably other manufactures.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Call Comp Cams...be prepared to answer like 50 questions and they will tell you what cam to use. If yer cheap, you can take the cam specs they give you and grab a comperable one from Summit. Its the best way. Tho as a rule just stay between 204-218 degrees @.050 for good power in the lower RPM range.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Derf00 and I discussed it before and I would consider the #12551124 cam on that same page. It is the Factory LT4 camshaft, has a slight bit more duration and lift then the LT1 cam and is stated as being a great TBI upgrade cam. I had one to test out, but decided to go a little wilder and bought a LT4 Hot Cam and sold the stock LT4 cam...