Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAM IS BROKE IN!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok well I didnt get exactly 20 minutes but close enough I had to shut her down cause it got waaaay to hot I.E. the radiator cap popped off but all is well. It sounds great and idles well I hear a little tick that is coming from the oil pan I dont think I cleared it enough so I'll go back in and finally fix the rest but it sounds alot better. I am soooo excited it rumbles very nicely!!!!! I like the Offroad 4x4 towing cam...

2. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the upgrade, who makes it and did u feel much of a difference?

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

About time. Wish I could have been there to lend a hand but well you know /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. CaveBlazin

Well I have'nt had the oppurtunity to drive her yet but Im going from a 305 (V-6) to a mean bad arse 383 stroker motor so Im sure there's gonna be a BIG difference. Comp makes the cam and you can have them change the lift and duration the way you want.

5. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

[censored], if you had a V6 305 then I'll take that off your hands, the only 305 I can have has 8 friggin cylinders, not much better than a 350 V8 on gas.

6. CaveBlazin

I was hoping everyone could sense the sarcasm with the V6 thing. A 305 V8 acts much like a V6 IMO....

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Those old 305 and 351 V-6 motors were some of the most rugged GM ever built--I used to service them at trade school,they used them in most of the school busses.I have seen 2 GMC trucks with them in it,a 72 1/2 ton 2wd,and a 66 GMC 3/4 ton,both had the SM465 tranny--never saw one in a 4x4 but I suppose they did make them--their biggest downfall was the stromberg carb they decided to use on them,we switched most of the busses to a holley or rochester 2 barrel when they started acting up.Most of the busses had over 200,000 miles,and most had very little work done other than oil changes.They didnt get good gas mileage though--some of the newer buses with 366,427,or454 motors got better mileage than the V-6(the 401 and 478 V6's were hogs at the fuel trough too!)
    I saw an unusual truck the other day--a 1963 GMC,either a 3/4 or one ton(8 lug axles anyhow) with a FACTORY detroit deisel in it--not sure but I think it was a 4-71?? looked very close to the one in my friends trojan loader--the truck was like brand new,the original owner was driving it!--but he was in a rush and couldnt stop and tell me more about it--I'd like to check that truck out--I know they were offered back in the 60's,but thats the first one I've seen up close. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

read this /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

a post of mine....

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif