Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hulk81, Apr 10, 2007.

1. hulk81

hulk81 Registered Member

i just bought a 1980 c10 pick up to make a daily driver the body is perfect and it has new paint but don't run so i bought for cheap got it home and the dizzy don't spin so i pull it and the shaft and gear was fine so i started to tear into the motor which if i read the casting numbers right is a 4 bolt main 350(casting #s 3932386) so in my tear down the #8 lifter was busted so i went to pull the cam and the cam is broken in half :eek1: it's broken between the #2 and #3 cylnders and i can't get it out has anyone ever seen this if so any ideas on how to get it out

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The engine is likely ****ed. If its broken it likely lost oil pressure, which probably screwed the engine. Only way I can really think is to work it out from below, which would probably mean removal of the crankshaft.

PS, keyboars have punctuation....

3. hulk81

hulk81 Registered Member

yeah your right the cam is broken in 5 places :eek1: and 2 rod are broken so its motor time. i just going to tear it all the way down and see if it can be rebult or not.

ps sorry about the punctuation i will try to do better from here

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just makes it very difficult to read when a paragraph is A sentence.

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Wow that brings back memories. My buddy bought a '79 GMC last year with a 350 in it. He was reving it one day and then pop it was toast. I started to tear the truck down and found piston and valve in the headers. So We tore the motor down the cam broke at every rod. The back of it blew up into little bits. Number 4 piston was shot and the connecting rod was bent all up. What happen is the exhaust valve spring let go and dropped the exhaust valve into the CC. fun times