Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, May 31, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, my 305 I have in my Jimmy is about to puke. I have a 1990 350 out of a Z71 ext. cab that will be going in its place. The 350 runs great and the only reason it was removed was because a 383 was taking its place.
    This was a TBI engine and when installed in my Jimmy, it will have a Performer Intake and a Quadajet carb on it.

What is the general consensus? SHould I change the cams, or will the factory TBI cam be ok??

I tried Jegs and Summit on this and here is what I got:

Summit: Everything will be fine, it can be dropped in with no cam change.

Jegs: The cam should be changed to get optimum performance.

Any personal suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

2. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

If your state doesn't have emmisions requirements, I would definitely get a cam designed for a carbureted engine. The FI cams are optimized for mileage and performance.

-Rick

3. Emmettology 101

My state doesn't require any test(thank god)... That is waht I thought, but Summit kind of put out my fire. I figured while the enigine was out I might as well swap cams to get better performance.

Thanks!!

Mike

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

as long as the motor is out i would change cams,if you can afford it go with a roller cam,lifters,and rocker arms,the roller will increase your hp,and lb.ft.of torque around 30%,if you cant afford the complete setup,then upgrade to roller rocker arms,they say you will get another 25-40hp,compaired to stock rockers.

BIGBLOCK MAN

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Call Comp Cams and see what they say. They helped out a lot when it came to choosing my cam. I think the number is 1-800-CAM-HELP.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

A 1990 small block should already have a roller cam from the factory, beleive all 87 and up small chevy's have roller cams. Also the heads are different from 87 on up so you will need this manifold. Suggest calling edelbrock for one of their performer packages.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No, not all v8s had roller cams after '87. They are all set up to have a roller cam, but they do not. I just pulled the stock 350 out of my '90 Sub...it was a 2 bolt main with a regular (non-roller) cam. In it's place went a roller cammed 350 4 bolt block with forged steel crank. I would definitely replace the timing chain and gears if swapping in that 350, and I don't see why the cam you have in there couldn't be used. The stock 350 in my Sub had plenty of power, even up till its blown head gasket at 250,000 miles!!

ken

8. Emmettology 101

Ooopppsss... I posted a reply to this, but did it on the wrong thread. Check out the other threads for the reply.

As for the intake, I am going to ream out the center four bolts on the intake so it will fit the newer heads. Hot Rod magazine did this about a year or so ago and I talked to my local machine shop and they said that it is not hard at all.

Thanks

Mike