Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam Question!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I have a stock cam right now and it has a flat lobe [​IMG]. I will be replacing it next week and was looking for replacement opinions! I do some off roading and plow and am planning on pulling a trailer with it next year. Its a stock 350 with 73,000 miles on it. I just put on an Edelbroch performer intake on and a Edelbroch carb on her. I was thinking of just matching the performer intake with a performer cam. But am willing to consider other options.

Thanks!!!!

Bigmeats

1975 Blazer

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Contact Competition Cams they have a help line either phone or e mail. Give them all the info on your motor transmission, gears, etc and they will help you select the best cam. Tell them you tow a trailer. The performer cam is ok for a car but they are lacking torque and that is what you need. Comp cams has their 4x4 cams, I had a 12-235-2 in a 350 with headers and a Edlebrock intake and it had good torque and it was good for towing. Also look at Summits web site for ideas. Buy a cam and lifter kit and also replace the timing chain with a true roller chain while your in there, You would hate to do it twice

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The cam I have is the Comp Xtreme 4x4 250 grind.

It's 250/258 advertised duration, 204/216 @ .050" and 111* lobe seperation angle. Lift is .432/.453. Low duration, more lift, more torque than the Edelbrock cam. It's VERY similar in numbers with the Edelbrock cam, just has more lift.

If everything else in your setup points to the Edelbrock cam, I'd go with the cam that I have or one similar to it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

That's some good advice about the cam choices. Trucks need torque down in the lower RPM band and if you're towing, you'll need all you can get between 2200 and 3400. Comp cams are good choices and I've used them on a couple engines with good results. Strongly suggest complete cam & lifter kits, new double roller timing chain and water pump at 73,000 miles. Cheap insurance if towing is in the future.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

5. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help

Bigmeats

1975 Blazer

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you're just replacing the cam and lifters, make sure you don't get one with too much lift that your springs can't handle. I don't know what's the maximum lift for the stock springs, but just something to check if you don't want to mess with the cylinder heads.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Sparky is right...don't ask me how i know...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Stay under 225 on the duration at .050. In my firebird my cam is 225 intake and 225 exh. with a 108 lobe seperation. Its a torque cam that builds me alot of low and mid range power, thats what lets me compete in my class. On the bottle I have over 700 ft/lbs at 2500 rpms, right where I launch. This also really like nitrous. As for the burb since I tow with it I am getting ready to put a roller cam with 206 intake, 214 exh so when it gets a blower it will work with it great.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>