Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, so far ive built up my drive train to the point that i dont want to deal with it anymore so im moving on to the engine, so far ive got a K and N filter, not much i know but hey its a start, i know nothing about cams except how they work in the engine /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, what kind of performance cam would be good for a 350 and what brands do you guys recomend? thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Comp Cams all the way !!! [​IMG] Call them with any questions, I'm sure they can help you pick the right cam for your app. They've always done me right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Me89'Jimmy

good deal thanks bud

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

also if you want our opinions we need to know a little more about it like what you want to do with it? mud and sand rocks? do you want more high end or low end?

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Call and ask one of the Many Cam Company's out there.
    They need to know:
    Weight of vehicle
    Gear Ratio
    Engine how many cube's
    Tire size
    Intended use of vehicle
    Automatic or stick, if auto, converter stall
    Idle quality,Preferance's, as in Lumpy Idle, Smooth idle etc.

Get all of this info if You can, and then call:
    Comp Cam's
    Crane Cam's
    Iskenderian Cam's
    Crower Cam's
    Summit Racing
    PAW
    the list is endless........... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Comp Cams 12-249-4 or 12-388-4 (almost identical, but 12-249-4 gets a hair more lift and both recommend upgraded springs: 981 or 983 I believe) are about the only two from Comp that do not require a custom burned chip. Crane Cam's compucam line have a couple of cams that also should work with stock computer, but I found that comp's operating ranges were better than Crane's.

7. Me89'Jimmy

for now its all mud and nothing else, but were moving to arizona in the next year or two so it its gonna be sand and rock later(gimme the mud any day of the week), my truck has 4.88 gears so its got no top end, so with that in mind id like one for a little lower than mid range if there is such a thing.
    Stats:
    Weight of vehicle: Roughly 4500 pounds
    Gear Ratio: 4.88
    Engine CID: 350 5.7 Gas Engine
    Tire size: 35x12.50
    Intended use of vehicle: 80% DD, 20 in the mud
    Automatic or stick: Auto
    if auto converter stall: Dont know
    Idle quality Preferance's as in Lumpy Idle, Smooth idle: As for lumpy or smooth id have to see how they feel in someone elses truck

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Give the company's call, and see what they can offer You, mostly mud? Mid to high range rpm's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Im running

CCA-742-16
    001 CCA-981
    001 CCA-CL12-239-3

This is a Comp Cam extreme energy truck cam. It makes nice power off idle and scream mid to high end. off idle to 6600 rpms is its specs. It has a nice romp to it to. A bit more than I was expecting comparing it to a 262 cam. I have been very pleased.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Between comp and crane, I noticed that crane has cams better suited to not cause problems with the computer. Very important. The crane 204/214 112* cam should be really good for an FI truck, but ask them.

Don't think comp has any "low end power" cams that are on a 112* or numerically higher LSA, and LSA is important on FI engines. The lower you go, the more problems (modifications) you will have to do.

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

call comp cams. I have dealt with them for several years. I run comp cams in everything! They have more cams than they list in catalogs. and will custom make one for you if you have special needs.