Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam questions???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rick, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Rick

Rick Registered Member

When you install a cam do you have to adjust the air and fuel intake on the carb, they tell me you have to adjust everything when you install a new cam, is this true

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

sometimes, if the cam is a different size than the old one. and you have to do it because the engines air intake and exhaust, has been changed. the valves typicaly with a cam change will open longer and further than before. this requires more air and fuel. so re-jetting a carb is more often required than not.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Yes....Something I'm still trying to get through....Mine was running extreamly lean, and I've over compensated at this point. I'm sure there is a easy way to take care of it, I'm just doing the old trial and error thing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hell, if you're running rich, rig up the ol' spark plug in the tail pipe trick for some cool flame trowing !!!!

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

That would give the Local PD something to do /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OH yeah as if the local PD doesnt look at PI enough already. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Theyre REALLY gonna like seeing the newest incarnation when it hits the road again late this week.

And on the topic, yeah you will most likely need to readjust the carb when a new cam is installed. Everything changes. Even if your installing a new stock cam it will still be different (larger) than an old worn cam.