Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Mar 11, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

does anyone know the biggest cam i can put in my 93 chevy 4x4 350 with out changing the chip, i already have dual exhaust and a open element air filter, plus i am getting a nice rocker ticking noise, so i figured might as well throw a cam and rockers in. what are some good cams to choose from too, thanks chris
    one more thing while i got tore apart should i put a set of noisy gears in it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif is there any benefit to gear to gear drive?

OK heres a nother big question, is there any way to get rid of my ticking sound with out installed a cam? can i adjust the rockers or anything else, and if so how long will this adjustment last untill it starts ticking again? thanks again

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Call Comp cam's tech line, or check around online, can't remember off the top of my head, but it's not very big. Another thing to keep in mind would be lift with your stock heads and valvetrain. Geardrives are more accurate, but unless you're building a race engine a chain will work just fine. On top of that, even the quiet drives are really loud. On an EFI engine with knock sensors, a gear drive might send your computer into a fit.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

To work with the stock chip keep the duration under 214 degrees @.050 and less than .460 of lift.(too much lift and short duration is hard on the valve train)
    For a cam look into Comp cams as said above, or a Crane CompUCam, both are good cams that will work with your computer. Dont forget to change out the lifters too! The cams usually come as a kit including lifters.
    You dont need a gear drive for a low RPM motor. A good double roller timing chain set will work fine. Cloyes and Crane both make good ones.