Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Jun 2, 2005.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am putting a 454 in my blazer soon. Before I do, I will be making a couple small changes to it. I am thinking of putting in a cam, lifters, roller rockers, and intake. I am going to keep the stock exhaust manifolds since I hate dealing with leaky headers. I will also be keeping the q-jet. I just had it rebuilt and it works like a dream, so I see no need to mess with it. I already have 2.5" duals w/ a x-over pipe. I also have a fresh TH350 w/ a 2500 rpm TC. I will be putting in my 14BFF (currently has 4.11's but will be getting 4.88's soon) and running the 40" Toyos. I also will be running a 1410 HAD rear shaft. The front will get a D44 8 lug conversion w/ chromo shafts and CTM joints, and a 1350 HAD front shaft.

I want a good torque-y engine, but I want it reliable too. Anybody have any recommendations for a cam/intake combo? I already know I am going to give up some mileage, but I'm not too concerned about that. It will get driven to and from the trails, and maybe to a show 'n shine every now and then. ANy ideas?

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm in the exact same boat you are. I'm in need of some suggestions too.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

When I'm in doubt I call the Comp cams tech. hotline. Those guys know their stuff. Just tell them what your plan is and what the motor has on it and they will give you some good suggestions. Last few I have called on I ended up going to Delta cam in Tacoma and having them do the grinds for me. :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As is always said, just don't overcam it.

My dad had his 454 put together by a shop that supposedly knew what he was using it for, and the cam they installed is absolutely worthless for a heavy rig that tows 10,000lbs once a year. Race car, yeah, probably good for that.

The cam companies must be quite accurate in determining what the customer is going for, I've yet to hear someone say they bought a cam that was recommended to them by the company, and ended up disappointed with it.