Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam selection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jan 6, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 blazer 350 tbi and i will be putting headers on in probably 2 weeks and i was also looking at a cam, now i know i have to get one that is gonna be computer friendly but i wanna be able to get it a little lumpy at idle to where its noticable, can this be done and still be computer friendly, and what companies would you suggest i was leaning towards Competition Cams or Crane Cams. thanks

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I doubt that you'll be able to get a lumpy idle with TBI let alone a factory chip in the TBI. Lumpy idle cams are like that due to thier high RPM performance. Not what you really want on a 4x4 IMO. I really like the choices that comp gives you when looking for a cam although I have run crane and they do work. Call both companies and explain your application, gears, tire size, tranny, weight, intended use, etc and ask them for a recomendation. Since the 350 is so popular, you should be able to get some ball park figures for HP and TQ from them as well.

3. lt1yj

lt1yj 1/2 ton status

I agree with prjt_blzr. A good cam for a 4x4 maintains good off idle performance and can still rev to 5500rpm. A "lumpy" cam usually indicates high duration which kills low rpm performance in favor of higher RPM horsepower. I've actually been on trails with people that were way overcammed and it's painful to watch because they have to hit the obstacles harder.

You will get as many recommendations as people you ask. It seems everybody has a different idea of what "good performance" means and how to achieve it. So I will throw in my experience on a Chevy 350 even if it's a little different animal.

I just swapped in an LT4 Hotcam from GM performance parts into my LT1. It's similar to the Comp Cams "305" roller cam. It's 218/228 duration at .05" lift, 112 LSA and .525" lift with 1.6 RR's. The computer was adjusted for the cam but ran pretty good without it.

The cc305 is 220/230 duration at .05" lift, 114 LSA and .544" lift with the same 1.6RR's.

I would recommend having a new chip burned to get the most out of the modifications you make. I think cams in this range could work with the stock TBI but you would not get all the performance improvement you could without a chip.

I spent a lot of time at a local engine builder that I trust who took a lot of his own time to help me reach my performance goals. I also spent some time on the "tech lines" for several cam manufacturer's (several times with the same company) and got a different recommendation for every call I placed. I finally chose the LT4 hotcam after riding in a friends rig with the same cam and engine setup I'm running.

Good luck!

4. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

'Ed Wright' is the "master" GM chip burner. Tell him what ya got and he will custom make your chip for your ride. He made both of my LT1's chips and they rock!! I forget his address but the guys at www.f-body.com/message forum can get you in touch with him. He makes alot of custom GM chips. Another idea is to get a 454 chip.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2