Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam Specs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Jan 1, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Are these good specs..I am clueless

350-3702
    Cam & Lifters for 262-350ci
    Adv. Duration: 244°/264°
    Duration @ .050'': 194°/214°
    Gross Lift: .265''/.294''
    Lobe Seps. 112°

Can I install a cam with normal tools? Will I need anything special? Should I send it to the garage for this?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Not bad, would work okay in a stock engine. sound kinda smallish on the intake side though. somthing with around .280 gross lift in the intake side with that duration and lift on the exhaust would be a little better. What brand is this cam??

3. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I thought i recognized those numbers. ok. If your getting the intake and stuff to it will work nicely, should be able to feel a somewhat impressive difference. If you havent done something like this before i suggest you get some help. But standby and learn from it. Its not really hard just have to make sure you get the intake sealed properly. Make sure you dont knick the cam bearings when pulling the old one, and lots of lube when putting in the new one. The rad and shroud fan waterpump have to come off. Might as well replace the timing set while your there. Theyre only $20 or so. Also remember to bring the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder and mark the distibuter to get it lined up right and putit back exactly the way it was. Good luck!

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We have you covered. I have this article posted in the Bloody Knuckle.

Camshaft Change

I would not be a bad idea to chase that up with a set of headers.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I used to sell both cams. My personal fealings are for comp cams. I like there tech dept much better. They still are a customer minded company. crane has gone corp! I have had much better results with comp 4x4 cams.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

SHould work a bit better, but it seems a little large for a stock TBI unit, id suggest a chip if you use that one.

I also agree that Comp cams has way better srvice than crane. Crane gave me a hard time when they sent me a cam with a pitted lobe . I eventually got a return out of them but they didnt realy want to.

9. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I talked to a few people and they claim this is a very extensive project and claim i should pull the motor and gasket it if I'm going to do this much work....pulling the motor was far from what I wanted to do....

any feedback apreciated

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You dont need to pull the motor at all. Did you take a look at the article I wrote?

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

just pull the rad, and shroud and possibly the grille (but that depends). pull of the water pump, the intake, the harmonic balancerand the timing cover&chain. bring it up to TDC on the #1 ignition stroke, pull the pushrods and lifters out. screw a long bilt into the hole at the front of the cam and gently pull it out as to not nick the cam bearings.put the new cam in using lots of assembly lube on the lobes and journals and reverse the aformentioned process. When you get it all together adjust the valves. Start it, set the baseline timing and run it up to 2,000 rpm and keep it there for 20 minutes to break the cam in. htats about the jist of it, not to hard really. but itll take the better part of a day.