Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam Specs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know the cam specs (lift/duration) of a stock 91 suburban 350 T.B.I. w/ a roller cam? Any help is appreciated.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

maybe? According to my info, a 91 suburban like you posted does not have a roller cam, It just might though. I have only one 350 engine listing. It is for a code K and it lists a standard cam. I'll post it for you anyway. Check your VIN on the Burb then tell me the engine code letter, I will go searching again if you have any other letter than a K. The specs for K are, 87-93 are the same, (k for 93 burb only). 8.3 compression, throttle body, intake lift=383", exhaust lift= 403".intake duration=194 degrees and the exhaust duration =202 degrees. the lobe seperation is 112 degrees. duration is @.050. crane replacement cam # is 114122, and it is a bigger cam....I hope this helps.....js

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't know the specs but all the 350's from '86 and up have the roller cam from the factory. Even the little 4.3 in my S-10 has a roller cam. Too bad it isn't a good one! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. JimmyDie6.2

I have one of those Z code 4.3s in an s-10 I have too. All I can do is wait for that burbs VIN code. It wasn't my intent to post erroneous info, if its wrong............js

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Problem is its my buddies engine. He just had it rebuilt to stock my a shop but he sold the burb that it was in. I will see if he can find the vin. All i can say is that is a pretty small cam. Good gas milage I guess though.

6. JimmyDie6.2

actually every single 305, 350 and 454 listing i have for trucks are all STD, this is through 1993. VIN codes F,H,L,M,K,X,W and M. All the roller motor codes are for cars like camaros, vettes and cop cars, there are other applications. Those VIN codes are 6,7,8,E and F. By the way that Z code 4.3 is an anchor, but I guess the 2.8 would have been worse.....js

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Btw, i had an s-10 with a 2.8 5.spd, it is a dog but i could beat my friends fullsize 4.3 everyday. But it did have a chip and k&N. Plus i guess it was a little bit of a weight difference. ;) I would never have one again though.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM went to roller cams in all the small blocks that I know of with the new block style in '86. Gains a litte power and it's easier to make a cam that builds decent power while maintaining the emission standards.

My 4.3 is indeed an anchor. Stock, at sea level, it would do 0-60 in 11.8 seconds. I added the Edelbrock TES, a cat back free flow exhaust, the Edelbrock intake and chip. It still would do 0-60 in 11.8 seconds. [​IMG] It feels more torquey, but it doesn't show up from 0-60. Edelbrock claims it reduces the 10-70 time by about a half second. Now that I live at 7,000 feet, I have to use a sundial to measure performance. [​IMG]

But you're right. At least it isn't a 2.8. Talk about a slug!!! GM has built some real $h!t over the years, for sure. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

9. JimmyDie6.2

GM and slug motors...your not kidding, like that 301 in another post. How could they make such a piece of crap 301 and then put turbo on it for those birds and then a couple years later bust out with the 231 in the GN and then The GNX and then to top it all off the 89 TTA! A good bud of mine has an 89 TTA, new Z06 vettes are useless against his bird, (hey did jack-up the boost bigtime). And cadillac and that 4.1, talk about a giant engineering mess. How about thw 4,6,8 Caddy motor in the late 70s. No wonder GM losses market share every year. When they build something popular and functional they kill it, and then replace it with front drive econo crap. no more......Impala SS......El camino...real rear drive montes, hell they killed all A-bodies....next is the firebird. OH YA, even our K5s younger brother the last gen full size blazer, bye bye......I just wonder if you can hot rod one of those new 8.1 BBCs. Anyway about the cam in the Burb, it would be my luck the book I'm reading from is wrong................js

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't happen to have the specs for the cam in my 1979 350 engine, would you? All I know is it's a 8.5:1 CR, and produces about 185HP measured on the wheels. All this, according to my Chilton's.

It'd be great if you have it, since I'd have a reference for when I choose a new cam.

Thanks.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. JimmyDie6.2

I'm a little apprehensive about posting any more info on cams........but what the hell..............here's what the book says. but first..185 horsepower at the wheels is over 300 at the flywheel. Do you mean flywheel?? The only 350 I have listed for a chevy truck in 1979 is code L (see if thats in your VIN #, if its not then tell me what you have I'll go digging later). According to the manual there were no 8.5 compression ratio 350 motors built in 1979. Although there were 9.0 to 1 350s made, (I assume for the vette). The listed Chevy/GMC truck 350 that is listed has 165 horse, 8.2 to 1 compression, 4 barrel and its the same exact cam listed above. exact. even the replacement is the same. check your vin see if it has the L. and look on the pad under the alternator there will be a 3 letter code. I can break those, It will be TYX or something like that. I can give you the lowdown on the whole motor with that code.....js

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks, JimmyDie6.2. I've always wanted those numbers.

My VIN is CKL189Z108582. Is that L the one you want? In the front of the block I found these numbers (couldn't access the ones near the distributor):
    V0907TBC
    C9Z108582

I also found on one of the cylinder heads the following number:
    GM462691

Anything you can tell me about it, greatly appreciated.

PS. What kind of books have all this info?

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

13. JimmyDie6.2

THAT WAS QUICK. I'm at work now. I need until tonight to go to my uncles yard and hit all his hollanders for your info. And for steering column info for another guy here....try to get me the casting number off the back of the block...its on the drivers side, and it is raised, an example is 3970010. That is a most desireable casting number for a 350, (not including bowties). I think the TBC is your engine code! Also about the head code, is that 462691 raised??? Did you get it from under the valve cover??? The one under the valve cover is the casting number. My guess is its a 76 CC chamber head. I will run all of them for you.....js