Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam Suggestion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RaisedK5, Jul 17, 2000.

1. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

So im getting sick of my baby being a slug, and i want to put in a new cam, i had an edelbrock in the old engine before i grenaded it, so i know how that does, anyone have any suggestions for a nice stump pullin' tire scorching bumpstick that is acctually smog leagal, 'cause im in CA and still have to get it smogged, which BTW is really funny to see when they put her up on the dyno rollers, theres just a couple inches of clearance on either side, and they get this worried look when she starts to walk side to side a little, any how any suggestions would be appreciated.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear you live in California. See if you can use a comp cams "270". This cam has a 470 lift and a short duration around 220 @.050. See if its legal in California. If you have a Jegs or Summit the cam is listed. If this Cam profile is no good for Cali, try and stick with a high lift short duration camshaft. JS

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Yeah I agree, the 270 is a good cam but may be a little too hot if you do any towing. In that case the 260 is a better choice.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Look at the Competition Cams Xtreme energy line. I've got the XE268 in my 454, a bud has the XE268 in a 400, and everything i've read says that these are the newest in cam technology. Anyways, I would recommend the XE268 or possibly one of the 4x4 grinds. These are dual-pattern cams with more exhaust duration/lift than normal cams.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. JimmyDie6.2

Andreas what do you mean by "hot"?

6. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Jimmy. By "hot" I mean long duration & high lift etc. etc. Simply cams not suited for 5000 lbs vehicles if not geared right. The 270´s operating band is 1800-5800 and is the "biggest" cam you can use and still go with the stock torque converter. Maybe not the best choice if low rpm performance is absolutley critical and if any towing is done. I´m going with the 270 in my sb406, but that´s only because it´s a 406 and is torquier by nature (more cubes), and I don´t do any towing at all. I´ve heard good things about the 260. It´s a good cam. Very good low rpm performance.
    I´m by no means any engine expert. I just pass on what I´ve heard and what I´ve experienced myself[​IMG]

Andreas

7. JimmyDie6.2

Andreas I didn't mean to sound rude, thank you for explaining to me. I was just curious about what hot meant. Heres another more practical suggestion..This Edelbrock cam, 204 intake 214 exhaust @.050 and 420 intake and 443 exhaust lift. Its a good performer with stock components. You will be happy with horsepower and gas mileage, and very happy with the low end torque.

8. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Jimmy, I didn´t think you were being rude....come to think of it, maybe the expression "hot" isn´t common in the U.S of A[​IMG] Well, I´m Swedish, haha[​IMG]
    Btw, that Edelbrock cam and the Comp cams 260 has about the same specs.

Andreas

9. JimmyDie6.2

Swedish huh.....I go to Englishtown dragway all the time in Jersey, (New Jersey that is), I met some swedes a while back there that had 8 second quarter mile cars, all American iron. They were really cool guys. They were saying on Saturday night or any night that is requested the cos would block off a public road and let all the street racers go for it through the night. and I thought we were free over here. If you get caught drag racing in NYC, the cops confiscate your wheels and auction it, or they paint it and make it a cop car. You get to think about that when your in the cooler.