Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUDNUTT, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

had a lobe go flat on my cam /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and now i need your /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif picking a new 1. old 1 was an erson tq-20. advertised dur. 292 intake and exhaust, dur @.050- 214 intake and exhaust, lift - .449 intake and exhaust, 2000 - 4750 rpm range.im running vortec heads so i need to stay in that lift range. rest of motor is steel crank, 40 over hyperutectic pistons,pete jackson gear drive, rpm performer intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb,hedders and duals. motor is in my blazer and im running 3.73 gears and 33" tires. ive got some 3/4ton running gear that has 4.10 gears(i think) that will eventually be goin in. when i get those in i plan on stepping up to a 35 or 36" tire. let me know what you guys think. bigger, smaller, the same

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Comp Cams 4x4 Extreme Energy is what i would go with if I were gonna change cams. Pushes your lift just a little(.453), I believe Vortecs are what .450 max?

3. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

wont running a .453 lift cam on heads with a max of .450 lift put me in coil bind? i looked on comp's web site and .458 was the smallest lift i could find on the extreme 4x4 cam.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Dito on the Comp Cams Extreme line.

The 4X4 line - seems like they favor the exhaust side, allmost to the same extream as a blower or nitros cam would.
    I'm not sure why they do that, cutting into the power stroke as much as they do. It seems as tho' it would take some low-end grunt away, a very slight amount - but every bit counts.
    I could guess and say, that they (Comp-Cams) is guessing that you (as the buyer) -might- have a restricted exhust system and they compensate for that by adding exhaust duration/lift.
    Which is quite possible, the typlical 4X4'er, pays little mind to the importance of the exhaust system - due primarilly to the application and difficulties that arise when routeing around the transfer-case and front axle shaft.
    Their "street" Extreme line, is more typlical of a cam designed for an engine that has more of a free-flowing exhust system. Still a dual pattern cam, but MUCH less exhust duration/lift in comparison.

So...
    If you have a good free flowing tuned exhaust system. Meaning a good set of 4 to one, full-length headers with a good/excelent collector and a free flowing muffler, with minimal bends in the tubeing - pick from the "street" Extreme line.
    Otherwise, the 4X4 grinds will work quite well.

Thats how I see it. If someone can explain some other reasson why they decided to favor the exhust side so much - I'm all ears. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used to have an Xtreme4x4 in a 305. I'd take that thing back over my stock 350 any day. That thing had some serious low end torque. I used to do brake stands with 35s all the time then.

EDIT:

I do agree with you though. I would have ran an XE 262 if I had it to do all over again.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've got to toss in my vote for the 4X4 Xtreme. I put one in my 388 and all I've got to say is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

7. muddhawg

muddhawg Registered Member

I am running a 350 bored 60 over with hyperkynetic pistons, and a comp cam, 268, total lobe lift 454, anymore would need a stall converter, rocks the truck at stop lights.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, someone is coming to buy my peice of poo 2wd truck tomorrow, maybe I'll save some of that money for a cam....

9. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

that comp 268 sounds interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif! i'll have to call comp tomorrow and see what they say about that much lift on my heads.

10. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

called comp today. they recommended part #12-310-4. 260 int, 268 ext. 108 center lobe and .444 lift on both sides. only problem i have is they quoted me 211.59 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for both the cam and lifters.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Take that part number and shop around a bit, it sounds about in the ball park though....

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think I payed about $160 for my cam kit.

13. muddhawg

muddhawg Registered Member

mine is part number 12-210-2, 268 tappet lift both sides, with .454 valve lift, intake center line is 106, I would call jegs, or summit, or P.A.W.

14. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Cam Choice

I need to replace the cam on a 350, blazer, performer manifold, edelbrock 1406 carb.
    Anyone running the performer plus cam from edelbrock? Good choice? Bad choice?
    Eddie

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Be careful running Edelbrock cams....It seems that if you do not run their timing chains too, they do not run right.

There are better choices out there than that....Some of the above suggestions would be a good choice, but more information is really needed....

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

huh? in my experience most 4x4 geeks pay to much attention to opening up their exhaust. Seen PLENTY of rigs with stock engines that had headers and 3" exhaust systems (or bigger) or true duals on them. Pretty much every rig ever featured in a 4x4 rag has a big exhaust system and headers... from "readers rides" to show trucks to full on trail rigs.

j

17. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

18. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Dual-pattern cams are nothing new but the X-treme energy line is,
    dual-pattern cams are designed to increase at higher rpm's when heads that have flow challenged exhaust ports (all GM heads) are used.

Using more duration on the exhaust side increases scavenging at higher rpm's, most street engines will benefit from a dual-pattern cam.

AFR, Dart and other high dollar units have exhaust ports that flow so well a dual-pattern cam will actually over-scavenge the exhaust side and hurt top-end power so a single-pattern cam must be used in this situation.

You want a XE 4x4 (of your choice) or a XE268H cam for that motor, any way you slice it you have to perform the Vortec high-lift modification for .550" lift and elongate the push-rod guide tubes.

Any competent machine is familiar with this procedure.