Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cam with vortec heads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fulltopblazer, Oct 5, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of pulling the engine on my blazer this winter and freshining it up (not a dry gasket in it). I'm thinking of changing the cam what cam works good with vortec heads? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen anyone answer it yet.
    I'd like to know too.
    You might have more responses on Chevytalk.com in the Performance forum. A lot of vette guys in there are knowledgable about cam etc. and if you tell them what you're putting it in they won't recommend you a high hpm cam made for a lightweight car or anything like that.
    -- Mike

3. fulltopblazer

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Here is what I have to say about this subject. The best way to pick a cam is to have the Cylinder head flow tested with the manifold and carb installed. Flow testing with the manifold and carb will show a loss of up to 20% of the cfm flow that just the cylinder head puts out. Now with that being said I have flow numbers flowed this way. The head was a Vortec with a Edlebrock performer and a 650 Holley carb. If you want them I can post them for you. Next thing is don't go with the Crane or Comp Cams I feel they have to much exhaust duration on them. My choice is Elgin Cams. www.elgincams.com. They will custom build a small block cam for $125 and it takes about a week to get. Look at there web page and get a little more info on them and cams. The last thing is my brother built a 327 with 9.7 to compress vortec heads, performer manifold and the holley 650 carb. Here is the cam spec's 270/272 advertised with .471" lift on the intake and .453" on the exhaust. The engine is in a 63 nova with a 5 speed and 3.42 gears. The car get 17mpg in town and has got around 20mpg on the highway and the car has all kinds of power. Also we notice that the oil looked brand new even when he had 1500 miles on it. Which means that he is not over camming it or over fueling it. Just some things to think about. If you do anything do get a cam for Elgin.

5. fulltopblazer

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif