Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

I got a 77 350 4 bolt

And am looking to built the top end of the motor , I am ionterested in a cam ,gear drive timing chain,roller rockers ,and full roller lifters .

And other ideas what all fo you guys run as far as cams,etc go it is a 305 running a q jet right now no emmisions

i was looking at those comp 4x4 cams andybody got ideas for a really mean cam :D

2. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I put in a Crane Cams Truck cam in my 73 and I love it. Its a dual pattern cam and I think the one I got had a 427 intake lift and 454 exhaust lift. It gave my truck so much low end power whic is what you want for a 4x4 with big tires. I also put in a cam gear drive and I got the best there is in my opinion Pete Jackson. You can get one machined for more noise or a quieter one, I got the noisier one and after it breaks in you cant really hear it that bad but at first it is loud lol. As for the roller lifters and rockers, thats my next plan too so im not sure where to go with that. Everything I got for my motor came from Jegs, I never had any trouble dealing with them and I willl use them again.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are still building the motor, seriously consider just getting a factory roller block.

I believe I've got right around $1K in my aftermarket roller setup, a later block would have been much more cost effective.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

call comp cams after you decide what you want this motor to do and get their recomendation on what cam is right for your motor

from what it sounds like you will have invested in the valvetrain I think you could probably build a 350 and come out ahead

5. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

yeah jegs is usually pretty good I've gotten a fair amount of stuff from them

6. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

You can get a better geardrive from GM. Ask for a marine cam gear drive. It drives the cam backwards, but any of the cam companies can grind you one to match.

7. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Love my xtreme 4x4 cam so much I recommended it to all my friends, and they've all loved their's too. Let them give you a recommendation on which one, I've used both the 235 and 239 and loved 'em both.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

is it the roller one?

I just bought a comp cams xtreme cam... .458 lift one.. forget the model number...
    also got my vortec heads, vortec intake, rings and bearings in too... just neeed the cash for gaskets and intake bolts... then gonna tear the truck apart after the holidays... most likely January... :bow:

here she is...
    Grind Number: CS X4 258HR-11
    CCA-08-409-8

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...4294908216+4294924928+4294840140&autoview=sku

I was going to go with a bigger one.. the .474 lift.. but that was listed as good torque where the one I got was listed as Great torque.... once ya get too much lift i guess the rpms go up...... so hope i got a good idle cam.... :bow: