Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camaraderie...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is something I've been mulling over for awhile now...

One of my favorite things about skating is the comraderie amongst skaters.. It's an over-riding feel at many a session, not always, but often, amongst older skaters who "get it"..

It's a very pure thing... Moreso than any team sport I've played... Maybe thats what makes it pure and unadulterated, the individualism.

When ya bust that trick you've been bailing all day on, your bro's are more stoked on it than you! The hoots and hollers, tailsmacks on the coping are coming from guys who understand what you just went thru to pull that... There's no jeolousy, just encouragement and stoke... :bow:

I've seen it in wheeling from time to time, and just wondered what life events, job, military, sport, etc, have shown that to you...

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wheeling. Seems like every group that I have been with has had that feeling to some degree. And riding - especially when I was riding mountain bikes more.

I usually see it when its not a competition. Although guys are always competitive to some degree, in more individual pursuits that bring people together there is not the drive to "win" against the others. You are trying to beat the trail/trick rather than the guy next to you. So is everyone else. So when you beat it, all is well.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have been fortunate to experience this many times.

Hopefully, some of the old line grunts will join this thread. Anytime you bust butt with other people, to accomplish a goal, at the completion you should get that warm, fuzzy feeling.

The last time I really felt it was training recruits. Taking them through the O course, watching them work together to get everyone through it. Lots of noise, and high fives. Of course, none of it was directed at me, but I could feel the vibes.:D :D

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Surfing. Everyone gets stoked when you get the wave of the day, even people you don't know.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Time spent with good friends working on projects.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Amen brother!

Reminds me of a busy weekend pulling a 350 out of the 78, the 305 out of the 84 and putting the 350 in... then topping it all off by selling the heads off the 305 for $100 and blowing it on go-karts for everyone involved in the swap ;)

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm lucky to have it in my job. Especially after a fire. It's that honest brotherhood thing.

And cbbr when the sport was still new, the racing scene was a lot like that. Yeah we were all competing but it was still a tight knit group. It's not like that now.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

Wheeling, but lately CK5...:bow:

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I found that cameraderie in my martial arts ( filipino kali) training..

the best was when we upper level students trained by ourselves. we pushed each other a whole bunch, and our instructor pushed harder, and had us doing cool stuff like stick sparring with only hockey gloves for protection, 3 on one attack scenarios with weapons, and groundfighting until someone tapped out.. testing for a new sash was a lot of fun, as many months of work came before the test, and the test itself was over an hour long, with another 3 hour class after that..

taking a stick shots and punches without crying was the price of admission to the "in crowd", and once I got there, I found kindred spirits, and got just a taste of what a true warrior culture must have been like.

Tom

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

This is the main reason why we like goin camping n wheeling n what not. The last day at Parker was pretty much completely spent trying to fix one of the rigs out on the trail. Fortunately, we're all good friends and it was still a fine time. I am pretty happy it wasn't raining.

Good friends make the world go round.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I definetly get in from motocross...Whether it be gettting a hard fought win, holeshot, hitting a new section whatever.

It used to be bmx. im sorry i gave it up. It was alot of fun and i was really good... got distracted by motors i guess:crazy:

I skated for a few years and i didnt notice it as much. Alot of the young skaters a stoned, punk pieces of crap with an "im better than you attitude":rolleyes:

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I finish a pony keg in a day.. Man what a rush :haha:

Seriously can't to go wheeling with some of the guy's from OR,and WA. :bow:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's how our crew is when it comes to derbies. we pretty much run the truck shows around here, with the exception of the occasional outsider. in '05 the one show that i ran, the outsiders didnt even bother to show up. we just went out, and put on a show for the crowd. got alot of good hits in, the strongest truck won, and we all went and had a few beers together afterwards.

14. boggerless

we used to be like that when we raced moto cross.people there would ask"whats your team name?"we would all look at each other.:confused: by the second season we called ourself TEAM I DON"T KNOW.we all had ? on our jerseys.:haha: :haha: :haha: ah,the days of staying up till three in the am playing with girls just to get up at five to drive 4 hours to the track.:bow: i need another bike.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

you used to ride? i didnt know that... damn dude youll have to give me a buzz sometime, i got some good races stories...:D 2 time champ last season!:D My number is in the thread you started. Not tonight though, my bed is calling.:o

16. boggerless

hell yeah. got it bro