Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camber adjustment ring?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNChevy4x4, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MNChevy4x4

MNChevy4x4 Registered Member

Were they ever installed at the factory? Or would this have been installed later as a result of a mishap such as bent axle tube?
    Thanks!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never even seen or heard of one so I'd go with bent tube.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about factory , but aftermarket has them Clicky

[​IMG]

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

But the spindle nuts wouldn't be fully seated on the spindle and put stress on the bolts. It's just like the discussion of when people were putting degreed zero rates under their D60. The passenger side nuts for the studs would have a gap on one side between the nut and ubolt plate.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Probably not a good idea , but most people who go to alignment shops don't wheel , and they probably wouldn't have a failure :thinking:

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i agree:D

i have a diferent brand vehicle w/ a d44 frt. i got an alignment on it cause it is my wifes dd. the shop pulled the top ball jiont beveled thingy & re-placed it w/ one that is an eccentric. i believe that is a much better alturnative.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

NICE! Thanks for the link! Ive been looking for something to adjust my camber. Now I just need to save 141 bucks!

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What I would love is to hear from someone who's actually installed these.
    I've contimplated using these, but am a little hesitant.
    I don't think the problem is the nuts not setaing, like the other guy said, it's a full ring, there won't be any gaps, the problem is the basic design of the whole thing. The spindle to knuckle joint is a press fit. The bolts just hold it there, there is only supposed to be minimal stress and load on them, friction from the press fit takes most of the load. If you space out the spindle, even 1mm, the press fit is that much less effective and the poor old studs and nuts are now doing a job they were not designed for.
    Mabey these old axles had so much press, it's not a problem. The problem is, we don't know. Hence, if someone has installed these, and has had them on for a while, preferable some time off-road, let us hear from you!

9. MNChevy4x4

MNChevy4x4 Registered Member

My truck has one on the pass side. I haven't measured it but i'd say 1mm on one side and 2mm on the other. I'we only had the truck for a very short time so no experience with it yet and I have never taken it off road yet. The truck has been off road before based on all the mud everywhere. Based on the rust on the ring and knuckle & pinion it looks like the ring has been there a while. I like the ring on mine better than the one in the picture because mine only has 2 pairs of holes instead of long slots. Therefore it has much more surface area and is able to transmit load via friction better. The goal is to have only a tensile load (pull along the main axis) on the bolts, so it is better from that point of view. But the offset balljoints sounds like it could be a better solution.
    Oh, also I'm not sure that the outer pinion bearing seal has reached in far enough to properly do it's job because of the extra distance due to the ring. The replacement seals I got from Autozone are "deeper" than the ones that the truck came with, so the truck could have had wrong seals installed at some point.
    Thanks!

10. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

11. were talkin camber not caster dude!

what is the cost of the average camber adjustment on one side?
    my truck sits a lil lw one one side looks like camber but also looks like you could add a spacer under one leaf?

12. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Think about how it works Dude!

It's an eccentric that will adjust up to 1 1/2 degrees. It's purpose of being built was to add camber to a Scout II but if you move it a 1/4 turn it's caster.