Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camber and Caster?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Jun 15, 2003.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Is there anyway to adjust the camber and caster on a straight axle /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif? I've heard that the problem would be in either the tracking or something in the front axle, but there is no actual adjustment for it.

Kirk

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think somebody said you can get a degreed insert for your upper ball joint that will help.if its way off you will have to cut off the knuckle and reweld it back to specs.thats just what i got from a post a couple years back.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

shims, behind the spindle, they're degreed, but you have to pull the hub and backing plate off to do it..is yours out of spec?

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Shims will help caster but camber is how much the tire is angled towards the engine at rest. This would be hard to do unless you had some sort of custom knuckles built. Unless maybe some have 1 degree built in? I don't know.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

shims between springs and mount pads could do caster
    shims between spindle and knuckle could do caster

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

CK5 department of corrections.
    [ QUOTE ]
    shims between springs and mount pads could do caster
    shims between spindle and knuckle could do camber

[/ QUOTE ]

There is allso a offset sleeve that can replace the factory sleeve, which can adjust camber and caster by moveing the upper balljoint around in relation to the axle.

7. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, now I am utterly confused. But I need to something somewhat quickly, if I don't then here shortly I'll be running on the outside of the rims and inside of the tires. I was under it the other day and noticed that the sway bar is not connected to the passenger side of the axle, could this possibly have anything to do with my problems?

Kirk

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i run with out a sway bar and no tire problems.however my ball joints were worn out and the tire was wearing out on the inside of the tire torward the engine.i just replaced my ball joints and there is no problems now.the easiest way to check if yours are bad is to jack up the front of the truck and put it on jack stands.then go to each tire and pull from the bottom of the tire.if it moves then you ball joints are junk.i could move mine about a quarter inch or more and the lower one was about to pull out of its socket it was so bad.

9. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

What exactly is your truck doing? Are your tires wearing on the outsides only? If so, it could just need a toe-in adjustment (tie rod adjuster)

10. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I know that my tie rod is bent,(don't know how it got bent down). Even after I noticed the tie rod it would still drive straight and the tires were still vertical. Awhile afterwards, my tires started leaning outwards, (top further out then bottom). It's been like that long enough for the tires to be almost smooth on the outside half.

Kirk

11. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the tires leaning out on the top, but a bent tie rod would definitely cause excessive toe-in and make the tires wear more on the outsides. I would suggest getting a new tie rod. Napa sells new ones or get a good used from the salvage yard. Then align the front end. You can do it yourself if you don't want to pay someone to do it. Just look here:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=780423&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1