Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camel humps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Dec 10, 2003.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

What is the deal with camel hump (double hump) cylinder heads. I am buying a set through a frien and I am just curious besides being 2.02/1.60 what is the big deal? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

They are considered a Hi-Po head with smaller combustion chambers, big valves, and good flowing ports(for a factory head /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). Most had 160cc intake runners, which are kinda small by todays standard. What is the casting number, BTW? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I will post it tommorrow. They are from a early 70's vette. Atleast that is what the casting number brought up

4. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

also you need to make sure all your casting holes on the outside of your block are there for stuff like alternator brackets and such. Many camel hump heads are not drilled and tapped as they are older and didnt require so many brackets. With the smaller combustion chamber and bigger valves you will notce performance gaines, they also have camel backs with 194 intake valves instead of the bigger 2.02 valves. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

the ones with out all the bracket holes are the better heads. they had the bigest valves. they were ushaly found on corvettes.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well, not neccesarily. I have the 461 doublehumps with the 1.94s in them and no holes. The 462s are the good ones, big valves, but still no accesory holes.

7. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

there still an out of date design and assumming egr is not an issue for smog then a set of vortec heads would be much better. people on my camaro board have seen 40 hp alone just from going from the old hi-po heads to these new design and thats on ur basic stock type engine (there are also alot running them on 383s and 406s and there in the 11s so u know these heads work ). infact they flow around 235 cfm which is the same as world sportman IIs yet do it with a 170 cc runner as apposed to 200 so theres much better torque not to mention the combustion chamber design is far better ruslting in more efficent burns, less tendancy to ping and of coarse more power.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah i do agree, the only thing going for them is theyve got lots of meat to port out. I know im going vortec when i build the 383 for my 2wd stepside.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most camel hump heads are not 2.02"/1.60" but rather 1.94"/1.50"

I have only seen 3 sets of true 2.02"/1.60" camel hump heads in the 17 years I have been an automotive machinist, and I have seen thousands of heads in those 17 years.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

My "186" accessory drilled heads from a 70 Vette are 1.94's