Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camelhumper six autopsy results! And a question about Junk!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Oct 20, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Being bored out of my skull sunday,and being too broke to go to my favorite swap meet in CT,I decided to do something other than drown my sorrows-so I took the six that blew in my C10 apart to see exactly what happenned to it.When I took the head off,it looked perfect,no scratches in any of the bores,the valves and the head in general looked very good,in fact I think it was a rebuilt head,it looked like it had been hot tanked and left unpainted,then I looked at #6 piston,the one nearest the bellhousing--it had a chunk missing on its outer edge about an inch or so long,you could see the top ring there!.The cylinder was not damaged at all--there is a small peice of molten aluminum stuck to it,but it comes off with your fingernail--the top of the piston has a few puck marks,but the valves didnt get any damage,nor did the head--the peice must have gotten out past the exhaust valve and probably is still in the catalitic converter(which I did not re-install with the next motor,it was soaked with oil,probably junk!).The strange thing is how the motor knocked pretty loud near the # 2 cylinder,but it showed no damage from above--maybe it lost the rod or main bearing on that cylinder--got dark too soon and didnt pull the oilpan,doesnt really matter anyway.I was amazed I drove it over 20 miles home smoking so badly no one could see behind me,and when I got home it was only about 1-1/2 qts.low on oil,and still had decent oil pressure(though not as high as it was before this).I might have been a bit hasty,probably could have put another piston and rod in #6 and put it back in service!--but since I put in the 305 I dont miss the six that much--now its much mor powerful and actually got more mpg than it had before.I'm still getting used to having it actually spin the tires if I hit the gas too quick--and yesterday I nearly lost it going around a corner in the rain on wet leaves!--light truck+empty bed+V8===Doughnuts! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Scrap metal is now 70 bucks a ton for complete cars and trucks,and the other scap prices are rising too around here--I've got to figure a way to get my 74 K20 to the scrapyard after I remove the bed and the 400 smallblock-(it smokes some,but still runs decent--should be rebuilt though before re-using it)-I've been debating whether to keep the NP205 and the axles or not--the case is ok,but wont fit my other truck without a new adaptor,and I think its the older 10 spline front shaft version,and the axles are 8 lug dana 44 in front(recent new ball joints and axle joints) and a SF 14 bolt(4.10 gears) with lots of rust--gear oil oozing out of the rear cover,shock mounts pretty thin--think I should keep them,or send them to the crusher??.I want to save the plow frame and pump and controls,but its debateable whether anyone is looking for plow stuff for an 87 or older truck anymore--what do you guys think I should keep??. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Or should I just load all the scrap in my yard on it,head for the scrapyard(it still moves in the foreward gears,but for how long! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) and junk it, plow frame,bed and crane and the 400 and all--and collect my 310 bucks (it weighs 6380 lbs empty!)and call it a day??.I kinda hate to lose the motor- and the bed and crane(very handy for junk runs,and delivering heavy stuff)but my mothers health is very poor,and I might not have the luxury of living here and having my shop anymore soon,so something needs to be done before snow flies.
  2. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

Mar 12, 2003
    If your going to scrap the front axle I'll take the lock out hubs and spindles off your hands.