Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camo job on the '84

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jan 18, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Camo job on the \'84

I'm gonna camo the '84 and was wondering if any of you would have any suggestions. I don't want a army type camo I want like a realtree/mossy oak/advantage camo. I found a place here in kansas that sells like wraps for vehicles but they cost too much and don't last longer than like 10-15 years (and that is applied correctly! god knows I wouldn't do that What I'm thinking of doing is sanding it down to metal then putting a coat of a cornstalk colored paint down then with a little darker tan airbrush around twigs leafs etc.using them as stencils and the darker tan would serve as like a shadow. Then airbrushing in the outlines of the stencils with different shades of green,brown,tan and a little black. I don't believe I want it to be glossy because a reflection of the sun would kind of defeat the purpose. I want it to look as real as possible. What kind of paint should I use? just a rattle can or what? then for the air brushing i just have a little fine detail hobby air brush that I think will work perfect. Wildlife are not the only thing I don't want to see me sneeking around with my window down and a gun hanging l out the window What else do you think I should do or think about?
    '85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by speed_deed on 01/18/02 03:09 PM.</FONT></P>

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: Camo job on the \'84

i understand what you are planning and im suggesting against it. ive seen several people try to undertake this same goal and it looked silly. id do something really simple but unique to you. rattle can is probabley your only option because camo paint in large qty's could get fairly expensive. i personaly did a desert camo jod on my old k20 which turned out really well and i got lots of complements on it. since i got rid of the truck ive seen several others who have copied me. if you want something different maybe go to a toy section in a store and look at toys with camo schemes/colors. in my area i have also seen a tiger stripped dually truck that looks really silly. if you plan to go ahead and try your idea id plan it out on paper in advance maybe even do some samples on junk material first. i have military(us army) camo painting experience and we drew the lines in with chalk first if we didnt send the vehicles to be computer painted. im only trying to give you helpful advice not to offend. the camo you are talking about (tree-bark/real tree,right ?) is really complicated and would we quite difficult to reproduce and to look correct. i myself was even going to try at one time the late 40's to early 60's "duck hunter camo" or it was also known as "bunny flage", but it prooved to difficult . the good thing about having large area one color camo is, if you have to touch up it is a snap. plus if you mess up you can change it at will and still make it look good. if you want some pattern alternatives do a search of this site in the forums or go to the members rides section, or i may be able to suggest some other ideas if you contact me. good luck.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

3. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

big d is correct in saying that touch will b much easier with larger areas being one color. i painted my 78 in the backyard with spray bombs. the reason? i knew that i was going to go where i wanted when i wanted thru the woods at the hunting club, and it sure is easy touching up the scratches.(if they don't add character. some scratches give the blazer a bad a$$ look). if you want the mossy oak look, i would go with the wraps.....they are expensive, BUT they won't need touching up after rubbing a tree or branches.
    my opinion.
    if you do the spray job like you want, please post a picture. it will be interesting to see.

when all else fails..............HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32</a>

4. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Eddie,

I have been down that whole what type of camo to paint scene also. I decided to go with the Military Desert Camo pattern. I worked very well and cost me a total of about $35.00. Used Rustolium custom tinted paint. The paint color was not exact but after adding some darker colors to the lighter colors it worked out pretty well. I used the Camo patters for actual military designs, and found them off the internet. They actually had a design for a late model blazer on the site. It was fairly easy drew the lines with a perm marker and then sanded each sections and spay away. Took 3 nights, on night for each color to dry. I am very happy with the paint job, and believe it or not, the Rustolium is very durable. It has held up very well. And it real easy to touch up. If you are going to use the military camo patterns, you can do a search on the internet for "Military Camoflauge" and or Camoflage Patterns, their is one site that has the actual Blazer designs on it and it even give you the details on how to pick the type of camo for the environment you are in.

Here are pictures of my job <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Camo-Paint>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Camo-Paint</a>

Good luck

Rob

5. speed_deed

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll talk to my 'ol man he had some ideas of how to realtree it without painting it I guess I'll set and listen to him for a bit [​IMG]. If I decide against it I will have to price out the wraps and if that proves to be out of my price range well guess army camo will be the way to go.

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude, i checked out your pics of your ride and the camo job you did. OUTSTANDING ! i actually seen several vehicles with either this same scheme or very similar at military bases in various locations here in the states. i believe it is actualy a desert/mountainous camo and it fit in very well in fort bliss ,tx.
    once again good job.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

7. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

I've thought about going all out with the leaf airbrushing and such, but a much as I'm in the woods it would be too much of a job keeping it touched up. This rattle can job has done me fine here in Indiana.www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

You should see Rob's rig in person, it looks great!

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

9. CAROLINAK5

question for therobzilla:
    what/how did you paint your wheels? mine are the standard chrome plated steel wheels...well actually they are chrome-n-rust plated steel wheels. i want to paint them but need insight as to the way to go. my rig is also driven thru the woods on a regular basis so i don't want to invest a lot of $ into it.
    check out my gallery pics....the chrome has got to go!! it doesn't do any good to have a camo blazer with shiny wheels!

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32</a>

10. CAROLINAK5

question for therobzilla:
    what/how did you paint your wheels? mine are the standard chrome plated steel wheels...well actually they are chrome-n-rust plated steel wheels. i want to paint them but need insight as to the way to go. my rig is also driven thru the woods on a regular basis so i don't want to invest a lot of $ into it.
    check out my gallery pics....the chrome has got to go!! it doesn't do any good to have a camo blazer with shiny wheels!
    backyard spray bomb body-n-paint shop open for cheap redneck business!!

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Jeff,

The wheels are Rockcrawlers from 4WPW, they were pre painted. We are going to paint them the camo also once I get a chance.

I painted my side view mirrors black, right over the chrome. I Just sanded them, and wiped down with thinner and painted away, don't know how long it will last but it works for now.

Take the wheels to a local sandblaster and ask if he can strip them then get the spay bombs out and shoot away.

Thanks for the compliments on the paint job, my son and I love it.

Good luck

therobzilla

12. speed_deed

I think all the paint jobs look great!

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.