Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

camo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

My son was asking me for his truck. How to do a camo paint job? I thought the blazer of the month is great but he wants more of some other type. I am not to much into painting or camo. He plans on the spray can way but any suggestion on how to do this and it come out ok for him? I know this is not the body work section but did not see many new post in there.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If you search under camo or something simular there is a few posts with links to military camo paint jobs, and some others.
    :)

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I once thought about a mossy oak pattern. Using that stickon vinyle stuff like from bass pro or cabellas. I figured $800 to do the K5 which was cheaper than a paint job. I don't have a clue on how to paint camo.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

6. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

i spayed my camo colors with spary paint and then cleared it using a auto clear its held up well. the colors i used was rustoluem light olive / cheap 99 cent flat black and color works satin forest green. it took a while to find the right colors that i liked. If you dont want to use auto clear you can also use dulpi color 500 degree clear which you can find at any part store (its good stuff). Oh yea and watch out mixing different brand paints they might react to each other in a bad way. the paints i mentioned do not react to each other. but the stain forest green is hard to find at least by me. good luck and take you time with it.

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Camo is easy. I use to do it back in the day to the military trucks when I worked with the 3rd shop. We used patterns for them to keep them all uniform in pattern. Just solid fluid lines with your cans to get your outline then fill in from there. Finding the right shades of paint can be a bit tedious. I could see if I have the CUCV pattern floatng around the house here. I was going that route but it is just too common so I decided to design the digital pattern on my truck. You tend to get alot of stares when driving a camo truck around town. Good luck.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a blazer north of me that is painted in camo colors using a "trucker lady" or "silver naked lady" from a mudflap. Base coated in tan and they must have made a pattern to spray green, brown and black. Not really my thing, but it looks cool.

There are several trucks around here that used leaves and palms as patterns. Theye all look like they used rattle can, but some of them look very well done.

9. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

i have been searching and searching and i cnat seem to find a dark green camo. stomper said walmart but all i saw there was blacks and browns and tan no green. anyone konw were i might be able to find this green?

10. cbbr

The Wal-mart close to me has it. You may just check another one.

11. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I just laid a base of olive green, and then held different plants from out behind my house up against the truck and went over the top of them with different colors. It's held up good for the last three years.

[​IMG]

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Check into a local surplus store. Around here we have a place called surplus city that sells everything from auto paint, tools, steel, and used stuff like hydraulic parts and electric motors. Anyway our surplus store carries rattle cans of the 3 flat camo paint colors. It's what I plan on doing to my trail rig and at $.99 a can you can't go wrong :grin:

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Look in my gallery. I can e-mail the pattern i used if needed

15. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah the stuff I told you about was Rustoleum, exterior paint. I bought like 3 different kinds, picked the one I liked best and bought some more of it. I will post the UPC when I get to the house tonight.

16. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I really like readymix's paint but darrell was wanting more of some kind of mossy oak I think he said. It was mentioned about making lines in the paint before it dries to do some pattern? What kind of material is best to make a pattern out of? Poster board or? I guess also try not to go overboard with to many small colored spots.

17. cbbr

You can get a large roll of contact paper at Wal-Mart for about $7. Look where they have the stuff for drawers. Cut out the pattern, paint, move it and do your second color and so on. I did this with a friend many years ago. We used a piece of material as a pattern. Lay it on the contact paper, trace over it with a permanant marker, cut the contact paper and you sholud have a good pattern. Also works well for airbrushing flames.

18. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I bought all of my camo paint from autozone even though it's $3.99 per can it is a really awesome shade of Olive Drab ( nice and dark ) and it takes abuse too. I use roll/brush on Flat black on the trim and it comes together really nice. As for making patterns you could use just about anything for a pattern cardboard with a coathanger taped to it would be great and would hold up to numerous coats of paint. But the trick to camoflage is different patterns that blend together.

I will post up picks of my finished work in a few minutes.

Okay, here are the pictures, I started with a flat black base coat on the entire vehicle, to give it a deeper shade.
    [​IMG]

Now after 16 cans of OLIVE DRAB rattle cans and a little touch up with Flat Black here is the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  19. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

it's been a while, but the last time i was on www.therangerstation.com they had a few pages on how to paint camo. i know it's a (cough!) ford site, but it's still good info.