Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camoflage paint...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by namkrow, May 20, 2004.

1. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

What is the paint they use on military vehicles?
    It seems to be more "flat" than the flat paint from a rattle can.

I'd like to paint my 77 desert camoflage, but need a source for how to do it (patterns) and what kind of paint to use.

Any thoughts?

2. huntsonora

huntsonora Registered Member

I used the Krylon Camouflage mpaint for my CJ and am impressed with the way it came out. Its like $1.98 at Wal Mart so for the money its hard to beat. It is ultra flat paint.

Drummond

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I used quite a bit of Krylon and now for some dumb reason switched to rust oleum. Not that rust oleum is bad paint, I actually like it better. Just slightly a different shade of green. Rust oleum seemed to give me a hair more time before drying so you don't see the stroke marks as much.

4. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

I know one type of paint they use is CARC, which you can't get, and is toxic, but that's a whole nother post...I've looked into this subject also and came up with two companies that sell army replica type paint. (not the only ones) Gillespie and Aervoe

[ QUOTE ]
    Rust oleum seemed to give me a hair more time before drying so you don't see the stroke marks as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stroke marks meaning you painted your truck with a brush? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I bet you save a lot of $$ for 1 gal that'll last for a long time, than who knows how many aerosols. Maybe roll it on.

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

It's called CARC paint, and joe shmoe can't buy it. It stands for "chemical and radiation ....something or other" someone will chime in. Try a search for CARC paint, there was a thread a while back and somebody posted a link to a site where they sell paint that has the same appearance as CARC.

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Military replica paint by Aervoe is a good product. I recently used it on a project and was pleased. I purchased it at a local paint store, in spray cans. # 979 forest green # 999 earth brown. # 987B olive drab and # 967 earth red. They have lots of camo colors. Desert camo should be no problem. It's $4.90 per can.

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

actually carc paint stands for Chemicle agent resistant coating. It isnt what they paint all their vehicles with just the ones that where painted over for desert storm. It was designed to be resistant to chemicle agents that they where affraid they'd be exposed to during desert storm, and its easier to De-con as well. The normal woodland camo I think you can buy...some surplus stores sell it in spray cans. The CARC paint isnt anything special (unless you plan to be exposed to harmful chemicles...you folks in california may wanna get this actually /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) I'd say just go with regular Mil-spec rattle can colors in a wide aray of green, brown, tan, and black.

8. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I am the one that searched high and low for the CARC paint, you average joe can't buy it so I did the next best thing and bought the Gillespie paint from RAPCO out of Texas. They are a Military parts dealer and they carry every shade of military paint you could ever want. I would look up RAPCO on the computer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

http://www.slosh.com/ebay/
    Here are some patterns that were given to me by a member of this site (dremu)
    These are a start for you , hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hey, no fair! I was gonna post that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There's somebody on EBay selling these patterns on transparencies, with instructions to project them onto your truck. Very silly.

Umm, to note, I've finally figgered out photo hosting on CK5, so I'm moving a bunch of stuff there. These pix can now be -- permanently -- found on

my member's gallery .

I'll leave the Slosh stuff up for a bit, but I'd just put these in a temporary folder there.

-- A

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Not with a brush. The krylon dries so fast you can see each pass with the rattle can. Strokes. I guess you call them. Seriously Fast.

12. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am using this Paint Linkl to piant my Jimmy. Will be finished this weekend. This is the only "Authorized" stuff to paint on a military vehicle. It is a knock off of CARC but does the same stuff, hence the price. If you contact them and tell them what you want they can get it to you. I paid 10 bucks a can from them. If you want the bar code pm me and when I get home tonight I will send them to you from the house.

13. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

chemical agent resistant coating

14. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Awesome info, thanks guys.
    I'm out of town this weekend, but will research the info you've provided next week (and possibly ressurect this post if it drops off page 1)
    Thanks again.
    -Tom

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I work with a guy who's into military vehicle. He says most people use either the Aervoe or Gillespie paint, but he likes the Gillespie better because the Aervoe seems to fade out in the sun.

16. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

Gillespie Paint is an industrial coating that is lead based.it DOES NOT FADE like aervoe will/does. it iwill fade, just not like aervoe. i had a m38a1 fade where i used it as a coverup. ive personally seen it fade frome green to pink... also id like to add that semigloss/gloss is easier to clean. flats "hold" dirt more. also semigloss/gloss holds up better in direct sunlight

I used zerorust on my frame and i, nor they , reccomend it as a top coat. it fades in UV light. my frame gets minimal exposure, but i see a slight fade after 6months on some other stuff i painted. if you top coat it with thier product it becomes VERY shiny. thier web site lists it as a good primer, and it is. it is not a replacement to CARC

i painted my truck w/semigloss USMC green.... but since ive used zero-rust and gillespie, i may have no idea what im talking about.

[​IMG]

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    chemical agent resistant coating

[/ QUOTE ]

...and there ya go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks, bro.