Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camper Awning

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by chalet2506, Jun 28, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Took the wife and kids state parking a couple of weeks ago and left the 16' awning on my travel trailer ope. A big thunderstorm blew in that night and thrashed it. I've figured out that I just need to by a new roller and vinyl, $405.00 at Camping World, and plan on replacing it myself. The guy at their service counter said that the roller has some springs in it that you have to be careful with and I'd probably be better off paying them the $100 to install it. Anybody ever had to mess with one?

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

just the vinyl and roller? or the whole assembly? if u have to wind the vinyl on the roller,then it is a pita and a 2 person job. if just the assbly is to be installed then go for it.

same as a garage door with the overhead type spring. if u ever done/seen that

3. chalet2506

I attempted an overhead spring roller on my garage door one time, I decided I'd hire it out next time. If this roller has the same type system, I'll probably pay them the money to get it done. Thanks.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I did change one once, extreme PITA. Need about 3 people and a few hours. 16' is a large awning too. If it were me, I'd have it done, this way if they mess it up, they're responsible. I've adjusted the tension on a few awnings before too, even that sucked!

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have a camper w/ an awning and the dealer told me that if a storm ever ripped it up my insurance would cover it. In fact he told me to get insurance just for that reason as camper insurance is cheap anyway. Have you looked into that? Was there any damage done to the trailer?

6. chalet2506

The trailer's fine. Parts + Labor to have it done at Camping World is about $500, which is the same as my deductible. However, I am waiting for that one good hail storm to come along and get it paid for.........