Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

camper question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, May 25, 2006.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

How much weight can I put on a k1500, 305 engine and 4 speed auto? The reason I ask is because I'm considering putting a 1300 pound camper on the bed.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would install airbags to make sure you stay level..should work...don't expect to win any races but it should work.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

1300 lbs shouldn't be too much for a well-tuned 305. Like Burt said, you may have to beef up the rear suspension a little bit to keep things level. Throwing on a pair of coilover shocks in the rear might be your cheapest option.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

get coil helpers..

You can get coil "overload" springs that fit between the rubber "bottoming out" brackets, and clamp to the axle tube from Auto-Zone or other parts stores,for about 20-25 bucks....they really work,dont add weight to the shock mounts,which were not designed for that purpose to begin with (and are often rusty and weak on GM trucks anyway!)..I never liked air shocks for that reason..

I've used those springs in my 74 K20 that had a 900 lb flatbed,that I'd load to the hilt with scrap and firewood ..I'd say I had 3-4 tons on it at least 10 times!..the truck actually rode BETTER with them than the 9 leaf rear springs alone..gave it some "bounce" instead of feeling like a dead axle..they can be had in 1000,1500,or 2000 lb versions..I used the 1500 lb ones,they seemed to be just about perfect..not too stiff,yet not sag under weight either..you can remove them quickly too,if you no longer need them,or want to swap them to your next truck..

Air bags are nice too,but cost 200 bucks or more..a lot of cash to pay if your not using them much of the time..:crazy:

5. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

The thing about air bags is that they really get distorted and twisted A LOT if you go off roading, which they werent designed for. My friends truck actually blew one of the airbags- a big bummer if you really need them. If you keep it to mild dirt roads, they'll be fine. I actually removed the air bags from my truck and went with Helwig helper leaf springs, which can handle anything I throw at them, and they're adjustable. Just another idea for you.