Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

camper suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fwr, May 22, 2000.

1. fwr

fwr Registered Member

I recently bought a '78 K5 with a four wheel pop-up camper. I've decided to throw a little money at it, thinking of starting with the tired old springs. I don't (yet) plan to do serious off road duty, just rough enough to get away from the escalade-driving masses. I don't want to have to mess with the steering or brake lines either, so I think that means don't jack it up more than a couple of inches, right? The camper weighs about 650 lbs, maybe less, it that's relevant. Any suggestions from the hardened off-road veterans for a quality spring set-up for a good price?

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Forest...if that is an original Chalet it would be a 77. Still workin on mine for the trip to Denver for the K5 get together...just installed a rebuilt trans...NP205...new driveshafts...had the factory rally's powder coated their original color and some new 32x11.50's installed. I'm taking some pics this week as we also had the sides repainted with the original red-orange to match the roof. On the springs...the spring packs seem to be diff. than the normal K5's...i would see your local spring bender in town and have a new set made up as the Chalet weigh's in at 6,500lbs...300pnds more than a normal K5. Mine came with a rear axle sway bar that was installed by the previous owner which really helps out...as she tends to sway a tad :). Put any thoughts into the Denver K5 get together in July? Would be neat to see another Chalet show up!!!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. fwr

fwr Registered Member

Hey Doug. I hate to disappoint you, but I ended up getting a regular old '78 with a Four Wheel camper on it. Four Wheel Campers is a company that makes pop-ups specifically for 4x4's; they are lighter and stronger than regular pop-ups, made with aluminum framing. So it really does weigh in the neighborhood of 650 lbs. It isn't as big as a Chalet, however. It has all the same options inside, just smaller; gets a little cramped with the dog and the lady. I have a picture, actually, but not sure how to send it on the forum. There just weren't any decent Chalets for sale around here; the one I managed to find was a nightmare and the guy thought it was worth a bundle. So anyway, thank you for your input. Hope your Chalet is turning out nice.

4. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Umm I may sound stupid here but what the heck is a K5 Chalet? I've never herd of one of those.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

It's a Blazer, with camper and furniture instead of the hard top. Check out AZBlazer's site.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Our K5 Chalet page can be found in link form on Steve's link page here on coloradok5.com...or type in www.slosh.com/cars/chalet/index.html. And for the rest of the interested parties...here is a pic of her taken at the shop tonight...with fresh tires and rallyes...and the new paint on the side like she was supposed to have. Will be bringin her to the Denver Why To K5 Run for all to see!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban