Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

camper towing question

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by nc87k5, May 8, 2004.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

what is the longest camper I can tow with my K5? I've heard if you go too long, the camper will walk or wobble while towing.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

adjust your speed acordingly and keep the camper level as possible and you should be okay with about any size you have the muscle to pull. (As long as you don't exceed the GVWR and the hitch capacity) One of the biggest killers for wobble is not enough tongue weight and the other is the nose of the trailer facing straight up because of the difference in the coupler heights... Put the nose of the trailer up too high and it throws your geometry way off and plays too much with your weight distibution...

John

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. THANKS! been looking at buying one if my schedule changes this summer and was curious as to how long I could go with no problems.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I think it's also worth mentioning that a dual-axle trailer will have a lot beter road manners than one with only a single axle. I used to tow a 21' dual-axle TT on some very unforgiving mountain roads and never had issues with sway, even during emergency stops. It helped that I was running an anti-sway/weight distribution hitch, of course.

Also remember that overall length is less inportant than how weight is distributed over the trailer axle(s).